Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I correct?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I correct?

Am I correct in assuming that it takes just as much chlorine to to maintain a FC level of 8 as it does to maintain a FC level of 4?
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I correct?

If all other factors are the same I would say yes. To raise FC level say 1ppm would take the same amount whether raise from 7 to 8 ppm or from 3 to 4ppm. But if there is some chemical reason why it would someone will correct us both on it
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Am I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Philo View Post
    Am I correct in assuming that it takes just as much chlorine to to maintain a FC level of 8 as it does to maintain a FC level of 4?
    As long as you maintain the same FC/CYA ratio, then your daily loss to UV light (the largest contributor to FC loss) should be roughly the same. Algae or excessive CCs will increase the FC loss rate. The FC loss rate to UV light is based on the amount of hypochlorite ion (OCL-) in the water and the concentration of hypochlorite is proportional to the FC/CYA ratio.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates