Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer weir door replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer weir door replacement

Hello

I just noticed after 3 years with the pool that came with my house that the skimmer has no weir door but has two pins (not holes) to mount one (itís been that way since I moved in).

I anywhere I can get a replacement?

Skimmer opening measurements: 8 ľ wide by 6 ľ high.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer weir door replacement

Can you identify the manufacturer? Halogen is a good source. Amazon also carries a number of parts.

Skimmer Parts On Halogen Supply Co., Inc.

Amazon.com: skimmer weir flap: Patio, Lawn Garden
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Take the lid off the skimmer and look at the underside of the lid to see if there is a Manufacturer name and/or part number. Then Google to find the PN of the weir.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

INYO also has a broad range of parts:

Skimmer Parts - INYOPools.com

As for manufacturer, some have crossover in terms of sizing and interchangeability, for example, my older pool has Jacuzzi skimmers but I just replaced the lids with Hayward parts which fit like a glove.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

I was missing a door on my last pool and the generic one on amazon with spring loaded pins worked great.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

We were just having this discussion in this thread Opinions please on adjustments of return jets and skimmer with picture attached
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

Help!

This wreck of a property came with Sta-Rite pump and filter.
    The skimmer is a weird little thing - two holes on the bottom - one to the pump and the other to the (single) floor drain.

There are, of course, no markings that I've found. The skimmer trim ring is broken (concrete not level) and the weir has neither holes nor pins for a hinge.

What I'm hoping:
    Where the door should be, there is a single SS screw in the center of the bottom flange.
    A quick scan of skimmer parts makes me suspect it is a Starite Swimquip U3 Skimmer, installed cheaply without the extension.

The opening is gunnite with tile well into the opening (where the sliding extension should be). Looking at various sites, it seems the Pentair version of the U3 is not at all like what I've got.

TL;DR Version:
    Can someone point me to the right source based on the frame with a single screw at the bottom?

Are there universal doors which can be attached to a 1/2" frame around the mouth? I haven't yet measured the opening or the frame.

This is the site which makes me think U3: Starite Swimquip U3 Skimmer Parts On Halogen Supply Co., Inc..

As always, thanks!
    Dave
    Sacramento
    1980's 15,000 Gal IG Plaster; 1 1/2 hp Hayward Northstar; Hayward Swimclear C3025 Cartridge Filter (325 sq ft, nom.); Pentair Legend; Polaris PB4-60; Equipment 40' from pool. p.s.: it's an aye-aye.

9. Back To Top    #9

The one I mentioned in the thread link above is universal and there is a link in that thread to a youtube video
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

The part number for the OEM Weir door for your U3 skimmer is:

http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-08650-...ilpage_o02_s00

This Weir consists of the door and a hinge. The hinge is attached to the skimmer using one screw in the middle of the hinge (the screw you described in your post). The hinge rests on a couple of hooks so after you remove the screw you have to lift the hinge straight up to clear the hooks. I ordered one of these to replace the missing door in my U3 skimmer, but because of my bad back I could not install this door. I could not hold the door and at the same time try and start the little screw. So what I did was send the door back and then purchase a universal Weir door that all you have to do is hold the door in place and then pull out two pins that release spring powered pins that hold the door in the skimmer.

The universal door I purchased was this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Devil-B8550-Sk...ilpage_o01_s00

The universal door works great and was easy for me to install. Hope this information helps you.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks!

Would it be possible to leave the existing hinge part in and then clip the door to the existing part?

Nevermind - just ordered the part - will find out if it can be clipped onto the hinge...
    Dave
    Sacramento
    1980's 15,000 Gal IG Plaster; 1 1/2 hp Hayward Northstar; Hayward Swimclear C3025 Cartridge Filter (325 sq ft, nom.); Pentair Legend; Polaris PB4-60; Equipment 40' from pool. p.s.: it's an aye-aye.

12. Back To Top    #12

The door will separate from the hinge if the hinge in flexed enough to release it. If you try to snap the door onto the old hinge while the hinge is attached to the skimmer you will likely break one of the tabs. Just undo the the screw and remove the old hinge. Hopefully you are more flexible than I am and can install the new door with hinge attached.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.