About to add salt for the first time, am I ok to use....

vinnie

Mar 12, 2009
Am I ok to use the blue bags from Home Depot to add salt for the first time? I've seen plenty threads saying the salt is ok to use but many recommend the Mortons pool salt for a start. I used the test strips and I need to add 1200 - 1300 lbs of salt. The HD salt is so much less expensive then buying Mortons online or from a pool store.

Think i'm ok to get the HD salt and just dump it in?

The blue bags of Morton's solar salt do work, but they do have some little rocks scattered in among the salt. (I've never used pool salt so I don't know whether it has the same problem.) With that many pounds you likely will have a little cleanup afterward. I've never found it to be a big deal.

While small pebbles in the salt are possible, they are exceedingly rare. I have been through 1000 lbs and never seen one, though I have heard of it happening before. The water softener salt and the pool salt are exactly the same, except that the pool salt has been ground finer.

I have never seel rocks in the bags of solar salt but it might be in the rock salt, which is not as pure and should not be used! Either Morton's or Diamond Crystal solar salt is fine to use.

Using the 80 lb. blue bags of Morton's solar salt from Home Depot, I have always seen a few little white rocks. The 4 bags I used on opening this year had more than a few. Not a big deal, but definitely there. Maybe it was just the batch.

Have never seen the white rocks in the Diamond Crystal salt. Not saying they aren't there, just that I have never seen them. I don't buy the Morten because I get the Diamond Crystal for a better price.

I've used the Morton blue bags for years too. This year, for the first time, I have had some rocks in the salt. And not small ones, but some pretty large pebbles, big enough that my Pool Rover won't suck them up.

I decided that I was going to use the Pellets, but they were 3 bucks more a bag - I'll take a few small rocks for that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.