Help just got my pool sparkling clean AND THEN !!

Apr 4, 2010
Brought pool from pond over winter to sparkling blue .I used around 35 bottles of mostly 8.25 chlorine house brands ,concentrate no extras last few 10% from lowes got all debris out and vacuumed.Checked FC last night non recorded PH needed raising ,so I used twenty mule teen detergent booster last night checked twice and added more this morning. went to dollar general this morning bought 4 two quart bottles of concentrated 8.25 bleach no extras .The pool was sparkling about an hour later my wife said why is the pool green,I thought she was kidding .My question what is the most likely culprit Borax is it possible the bleach or the fact that the FC did not register pool temp 76 cloudy day and I put one gallon bleach in not enough??

Help I was floored when it turned green best guesses please can't now but I plan to hit Lowes this afternoon for 10 % Thank you for suggestions

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't tested yet ,but CYA probably 0 the way the chlorine disappeared

A couple of hours later I looked out and it was sparkling again It must have just been a quick bloom before the chlorine kicked in I'll test this evening expect to add stabilizer and more borax 20 Thanks for the info today I love BBB with my vinyl liner so inexpensive to maintain to bad some are addicted to the pool store

Well son of a gun felt safe and put another gallon of Dollar general bleach in and now I am green again this is the quart size I haven't used it before

Last edited:
That could be metals. You might want to see if you can take a water sample from your source (hose) to get tested or call your local environmental office to inquire about metals (iron) in the water. It's possible the higher chlorine is causing that reaction, and if not controlled quickly, the metal will precipitate out to the pool surfaces and cause staining. If that's the case, you'll be one of those pool owners who has to manage their pool accordingly. You'll want to read this page: Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.