Discoloration of vinyl liner

Jun 3, 2014
St. Louis, MO
I just opened my pool and noticed that my pool steps and vinyl liner are discolored. The steps and liner are more brownish than usual. Weird thing is that there is a band around the whole pool that is not discolored at all. This includes the steps. In fact on that portion of the steps it looks better than it has ever looked. This band is most obvious on the steps. I am guessing it has to do with organic staining. I have owned the pool 4 years now and every time it is opened there are algae issues. It is actually not as bad this year as the last two because I closed later and opened earlier. I tried to brush it off with no use and also tried magic eraser pad which helped a little. My plan at this point is to take care of the algae issue then balance the water and hope this helps. Is there any thing else I can or should do. Thanks for all your help.

0428160718.jpg (pic)

Welcome sky....try rubbing the stain with a chlorine tab for a minute If it lightens, it's organic. If that doesn't help, rub it with some crushed up vitamin C in a sock. If it lightens you have a metal problem....ask me how I know. Actually your pool looks identical to mine. I had a bad iron problem that had to be treated with an AA treatment.

How are you testing your pool? What test kit are you using? Can you post your test results? If you have an algae problem is suggest SLAMMING your pool, get it balanced then address the stain problem.

I test with the Taylor k2006 test kit. I actually haven't done a full test of the water yet. My chlorine is at about 24 now because of the algae. From what little I understand adjusting the pH at this point would be problematic. The water is cloudy so it is hard to test CYA (probably around 25 or 30). Would you suggest attempting to adjust water while shocking? I have never tested for Iron. I will pick up some vit C today and try it out.

go ahead and finish your SLAM and when you have passed all 3 tests then let your FC drift down.. when your FC is below 10 you can do all of the tests..

Your CYA can be tested now to know what level of FC you need for your SLAM..

You can take a sample of water to the pool store and ask them to test for metals, its fun to have them test for everything so you can see how far off they get your levels :)

Vitamin C didn't do anything. It is probably just organic staining. I have a ton of trees around the pool and a lot of mulch. Every year that I have opened the pool it has been a mess with tons of debris in it. The first year we had the pool I closed Labor Day and opened Memorial Day. That was a mistake. I literally had a swamp with the smell and breeding frogs and all. Why there is the band around the pool is beyond me though. I actually tested my water. ph 7.4 (probably not right), Chlorine free 15 combined 0.5, alk 85, hardness 180 and CYA less than 30 (my tester only goes to 30), Borates 15. I added enough of liquid and granular CYA to raise 35. I also added borax to balance out the pH shift from the CYA. Then I vacuumed all the dead worms and mulch/ leaves from the bottom. Hopefully the band will just go away once the water is balanced and algae problem fixed. My chlorine has been dropping today but could just be from the lack of CYA. We will see tonight.

Been a while, but the water has been clean and balanced for a time now. pH 7.2, Chlorine 3.0 (haven't turned on Salt cell yet), CYA 50, Alk 90, Calcium Hardness 180, Borates 30 (need to add more). I plan on adding more CYA eventually. The Band is still present with brownish discoloration above and below the area. I have tried cleaning a portion of the steps with chlorine tabs, magic eraser pads and vit c tabs. No effect from any of those. I even bought a Magic Jacks stain ID kit (no help), although admittedly my chlorine was a bit high when I used it. I bought some Iron and Copper test strips (both negative). I have no idea how to get rid of the discoloration, any ideas? I may buy some magic jacks "step stuff" just to see if it works, problem is the whole pool would need a treatment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.