Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My first week using TFTest Kit

1. Back To Top    #1

My first week using TFTest Kit

New to Trouble Free Pool - POSTING
    First I know not what I am doing, secondly though am thankful for those who do share their knowledge through this forum.

New to using the TFTest Kit - and just wanted to share what 'I Think' my results are on two rounds of testing
    I welcome any suggestions or guidance on what I might need to do next.
    25K gal Free form pool - Saltwater

4/19 5 days after opening - sample tested at pool place
    FC 5.09
    CC 0.40
    Total 5.49
    PH 8
    Alk/Adj 84/72
    Calcium 151
    CYA 37
    ADDED 12LBS calcium AND ~1qt muriatic acid

4/22 using TFTest
    FC 3.5
    CC 1.0
    TC 4.5
    PH ~7.6
    Alk 80
    Calcium 225
    CYA 37

Tonight 4/27
    FC 4.5
    CC 1.0
    TC 5.5
    PH ~7.8
    Alk 80
    Calcium 250
    CYA 50
    Salt showing 3100

Thanks for any advice you might offer
    Rusty204 - In-ground Freeform Vinyl ~25,000gal SWG with Hayward Sand Filter and Single Speed Pump
    5 aerating return Fountains - Dolphin Edge Cleaner //TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    Location is Central KY

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My first week using TFTest Kit

Welcome to TFP!!!

I am going to ignore the pool store results
    Too bad you did not post before adding that CH, there is no need for CH in a vinyl pool.

How does the water look?
    Having the CC consistently at 1ppm, generally points to the need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Beyond that, the CYA is a little low for a SWG pool. Take care of the CC problem first though.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you. I know it is the your Sig, but we get in a habit of looking at the Location field
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

Have you watched the test videos? https://www.youtube.com/user/TF100TestKit/videos

The CC of 1 is worrisome, if you did the test properly. However, if anyone added any MPS "shock", it will mess with the CC test. The big question: how does the water look?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

The water was still cloudy after opening (why I took sample in - and before I had received the TFTest Kit (which I really like)
    The water has since been clean, clearly see bottom etc
    Currently running filter about 10+hrs per day.
    Not confident yet I have the testing down, and was looking to see if my numbers looked realistic or accurate to people on this forum who have real experience.
    I do appreciate your willingness to help - and will be avoiding the pool place for testing in the future -
    Rusty

- - - Updated - - -

The videos are very helpful - and I like to think I am doing the testing correctly - though confident there is a learning curve.
    Rusty204 - In-ground Freeform Vinyl ~25,000gal SWG with Hayward Sand Filter and Single Speed Pump
    5 aerating return Fountains - Dolphin Edge Cleaner //TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    Location is Central KY

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP, great job on getting a great test kit... we can get your water looking great...

Check out my signature and post some pictures for us
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty204 View Post
    The water was still cloudy after opening (why I took sample in - and before I had received the TFTest Kit (which I really like)
    The water has since been clean, clearly see bottom etc
    Currently running filter about 10+hrs per day.
    Not confident yet I have the testing down, and was looking to see if my numbers looked realistic or accurate to people on this forum who have real experience.
    I do appreciate your willingness to help - and will be avoiding the pool place for testing in the future -
    Rusty
    With some cloudiness and more than .5 CC, you've got some trouble. But nothing that can't be fixed up quick with some bleach. What you need is the SLAM process. It could be as brief as one day in your case, since you're on top of it so quickly. That's the beauty of having your own test kit. With 50 CYA, shock level is 20. There's no way the SWG can raise FC that high fast enough, so bleach it is.

Just so you understand, bleach is an oxidizer. Oxidation is another word for burning. Think of it as flameless combustion. In an ideal world, you get carbon dioxide and water vapor as the results of burning organic materials (including plants like algae) but the reality is sometimes you get soot and smoke and carbon monoxide. That's pretty much what CC (combined chlorine) is -- partially oxidized stuff. How do you get rid of a bunch of soot, like the black crust on the barbeque grill? More heat! Burn it off. That's what the SLAM is going to do, turn up the heat.

Just follow the directions in the SLAM article. If you have the stuff at home, you can even start tonight. Adjust pH, give it a few minutes to mix (brushing helps) and then take FC up to 20. In the morning, check it again and raise it back up if needed. And again when you get home. Lastly, if CC has disappeared and the water is sparkling, take a reading before bed and again in the morning before the sun hits. If you lost less than 1 FC, that's it. Let the FC come down for a couple days, and then resume using the SWG and balance the chemicals again. By Memorial Day your pool will be clearer than you ever imagined and you'll be an old hand at the chemistry. Plan a big bash so you can show off your crystal clear, non-irritating, non-smelly pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

much appreciated - will get started tonight
    Location is Central KY