Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex pool 20' wall skimmer question

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex pool 20' wall skimmer question

My husband and I have an intex pool from last year. We already have it opened and ready to go for this season. We want to install a through wall skimmer in the pool but the question we have is that the pool has two inlets that connect to the pump that clean the pool. We have a sand pump connected. First off we aren't sure what would be the best way to plug both of those holes once we have the new skimmer in place. Both holes are far down on the pool and are both next to legs of the pool. So we can't use either for the wall skimmer. I hope this makes sense.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex pool 20' wall skimmer question

What some members do is use the old suction ports as additional return jets back into the pool. Just need to add some more hose and valves.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I use one of my old suctions ports for vacuuming, and one for a water feature.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

4. Back To Top    #4

That is a good idea to keep one of the ports for vacuuming or for a suction cleaner so that the skimmer can still work. I think I would do that and use the other as an additional return jet.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

These are all great suggestions. We are thinking about not using either of these ports and just plugging them off but not sure what plug would hold up for the summer and winter months.

6. Back To Top    #6

Why would you not want the added circulation by using them?

If you want to cap them off, there are threads that describe how to convert to PVC pipe/fittings instead of the hoses and then you could just cap them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

I suggest connecting one of the outlets to the skimmer/pump with a T and some valves. That way you can adjust the suction and also make sure the pump never runs dry, even if the skimmer becomes empty due to water loss. The other should be used as an extra return to improve circulation.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump