Brown algae

Apr 27, 2016
Chicago,Il
Hi,I'm new to TFP!! My problem is I keep getting this brown algae year after year in my pool. I have a 15x24 oval 52" deep with a sand filter. I shock,vacuum to waste and the pool looks great! The minute I put the filter on the brown algae appears!! I first thought it was sand coming from under my liner but it's not gritty to the touch. Should I get an Earth filter?:confused::confused:Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Thanks!! I'll look into the Pool School. I use liquid shock and float chlorine discs. I test with a basic dropper type for chlorine and ph. I live in Chicago.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I'll look into the Pool School. I use liquid shock and float chlorine discs. I test with a basic dropper type for chlorine and ph. I live in Chicago.

Frank, also make sure to refer to the links you see below in my signature. The recommended levels/chemicals, and Chlorine/CYA Chart. Oh, and course ... the right test kit - TF-100 (or Taylor K-2006C). That's a must or it's all a guessing game. You'll thank us later. :) Have a nice evening.

Oh, and be careful with those discs! They raise CYA to such high levels you have to do a partial water drain. Be careful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.