Pentair Intellichlor IC-20 or IC-40?

Apr 27, 2016
Tampa
I am installing a new pool and the PB's proposal includes an IC-20 Pentair Intellichlor salt sanitization system. My pool is approximately 10,000 gallons. I have read that some people recommend upgrading to the IC-40 even with a small pool. Can you all please provide your input? What are the pros and cons of the IC-20 vs an IC-40 with my size pool? I am in Central Florida if that matters. Thanks to all!

The ic20 produces about 0.7lbs chlorine per day. That's about 8.4ppm FC per day or 0.35ppm/hr. If you assumed a worst-case scenario FC loss rate of 4ppm/day, then you'd need to run your pump ~ 11.4hrs/day to generate enough chlorine to replace the loss.

And IC-40 produced twice as much as the ic20. So you worst case pump run time would be 5.7hrs/day.

Matt - thank you for the response, and sorry for not providing the required information (I am new at all of this. but trying to learn). The proposed pool will have the following: VSP Variable speed 3HP pump by Sta Rite Industries, and 200GPM Cartridge filter by Sta Rite Industries. Does that change anything?

I would suggest getting the EasyTouch automation with the IC40 cell. The automation allows for fine tune control and makes sure that the variable speed pump works well with the IntelliChlor.

Matt - thank you for the response, and sorry for not providing the required information (I am new at all of this. but trying to learn). The proposed pool will have the following: VSP Variable speed 3HP pump by Sta Rite Industries, and 200GPM Cartridge filter by Sta Rite Industries. Does that change anything?

Since Pentair basically owns Sta-Rite, is there a reason the PB is using Sta-Rite equipment over Pentair?

The variable speed pump is a good option to have with an SWG. Since the SWG only produces chlorine when there is flow (pump running), a VSP can be dialed in to run on the lowest speed necessary to satisfy the SWG's flow requirement. This saves power by not having to run the pump at full speed.

I would suggest an IC-40 as well. Every SWG has a finite lifetime and all of the major manufacturers make units that last roughly 10,000 hours (chlorine generation time). In case you're not familiar with them, their output power is based on a duty-cycle method of generation - the cell plates are either energized (ON) or not energized (OFF) at full electrical power. The percentage output is simply the amount of "ON" time per basis unit. Most manufacturers typically consider a basis unit of time to be one-hour (so 24 per day) but I think one of the manufactures uses 1.2 hours as the basis (so 20 cycles per day). Since the cell has a finite life and because it is either ON or OFF, a larger cell that runs less per day will last the pool owner longer. The price difference between an IC-20 and an IC-40 is so inconsequential compared to your overall build cost that it just makes a lot more sense to have a bigger cell.

See this VERY informative post written by Chem Geek about the economics of an SWG relative to manual bleach chlorination - Economics of Saltwater Chlorine Generators

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.