Advice please for pool size and patio size to meet the needs of a family of 4

Apr 27, 2016
Tampa
Hello all! Potential new pool owner here. This will be the first pool I have owned, and the first pool I have built so all advice is welcome. We have spent considerable time researching design, and we are happy with the modified L shaped design of the pool. Our main concern now is whether to keep the pool at 28' long, which is reflected in the drawing and pictures below, or reduce the length to 24' long so we can end up having a full 9' of patio space on one end of the pool (as opposed to the current 5' of space).

My wife and I have a 5 year old son and 3 year old girl who love pools and swimming and playing in the pool. My wife and I will use it for lounging and relaxing, not for swimming laps or exercise, and not for diving (no diving board, no slide). Our current design has the pool at 3.5 ft deep in shallow end and 5 ft deep in deep end with multiple benches for sitting. There is also a sun shelf reflected in the drawing as well for lounging for the adults, and for playing for the kiddos.

We live in Central Florida one street off the water, and mosquitoes are terrible! So, we will have the pool enclosed by a screen. I plan on using the pool area not only for swimming, but also for entertaining, watching sporting events, and cooking. I am leaning towards more patio area and making the pool smaller, but wanted to hear from you all.

Does anyone have a 24' long pool, or 28' long pool, that can lend some insight on whether that is long enough for a family of 4 (99% of the time the pool will only be used by us 4, and on occasion we will have pool parties. In general, I do not expect more than 6-7 people max in the pool at any one time if the kids have a friend or two over, and every once in a while 10-12 people might be in the pool).

My concern is that with the current design at a 28 ft long pool, and where the child safety fence has to be (reflected in the drawing below, but not the rendering), that we will not have enough usable patio space to be able to not only entertain on occasion, but also to simply enjoy being outside even when we are not swimming (i.e. enough room for kids to play with toys, and for the adults to lounge, when pool season is over / at nights / when we do not feel like swimming).

So, all of that was a long winded way asking the following 2 questions:

(1) would you prefer a 28 ft long pool with 5 ft of patio space on one side, or a 24 ft long pool with 9 ft of patio space on one side, given the layout of our screened enclosure?
(2) What are your thoughts on 3.5 ft deep to 5 ft deep pool given that it will mostly be used by the adults for lounging, and by a currently 3 and 5 year old for playing?

The drawing and a rendering are below

Thanks to all for any input!!!

[FONT=&quot]Pool drawing with comments.jpg

Pool 2.jpg

[/FONT]

Attachments

• Pool pic 1.jpg
    Pool pic 1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 264
My suggestion is, if it is allowed by your local code, HOA rules, etc. buy a cheap (sub $500) Intex oval pool in the 10x18, 12x20, 12x24 size range and try it out for a few weeks (a 10x18 is $325 on amazon and includes the basic pump with cartridge filter (its not the best, but its functional) The similar 12x20 is just under $500. So for less than the price of a day trip to Disney World you could try it out and see how the general size works for your family.

Given the choice between pool space and deck space for a pool your size, I'd take pool space. The extra woman in the drawing can hang out inside if there is no room on the deck. Heck, the wife might not even want her there at all.

"(1) would you prefer a 28 ft long pool with 5 ft of patio space on one side, or a 24 ft long pool with 9 ft of patio space on one side, given the layout of our screened enclosure?
(2) What are your thoughts on 3.5 ft deep to 5 ft deep pool given that it will mostly be used by the adults for lounging, and by a currently 3 and 5 year old for playing?"

I would consider losing the L shape and making it just a rectangle if you're desiring more patio room. I would also make the pool deeper. Kids grow and will want to swim in deeper water (practice their swim team strokes) have races and such. I think too shallow pools in hot climates make for swampy warm water. I'd do at least 4' to 6' if possible.

You'll probably be fine at 24' when it is just the four of you, but it might feel real crowded real quick when you start adding people, especially a pool party. Knowing how my kids (4, between 3 and 10yrs) use a pool, I generally lean towards the "bigger is better" camp. How do you envision using the 5' or 9' wide patio area? I think a 5' wide patio isn't useful for much other than a walkway. You might fit a couple of upright chairs in a 5' wide space, but that wouldn't really leave room to walk around them to get in/out of the pool. When entertaining, do you expect people to use the 5'/9' area, maybe adults sitting in that area while kids swim, or will the non-swimmers be on the outside of the safety fence? Unless you expect people to be spending time in that 5'/9' area, I would probably go with the larger pool and nonswimmers could either use the rest of the patio or be outside with the bugs.

I have an indoor pool and the space along the side of the pool is about 5 ft on one side and 10 ft on the other. ALL the furniture and activity takes place on the 10 ft wide side, the 5 ft wide side is mostly a walkway (I think the 10 ft side may really be 10 1/2, as you can see every inch counts and it is tight fitting past the tables when people are sitting in the chairs ). You can get some idea of furniture spacing between walls and pool in my thread here from reroofing a few year ago. My not indoor pool at the moment

Ike

p.s. I would also go deeper on both ends

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a new pool screened room 35 X 50 with 12 x 22 covered patio pool listed below. Pool size works for us and feel its large enough for having friends over with out being over crowded. On a budget, so didn't want to go over board, it seems the sky's the limit, so plan on what you want to spend, take your time in design. There are so many things you can do that will make your price change so make a list of options, research them, see if pool builder can give you a deal. Some may give you them or include free. I got 5 options that were included and builder was lower than most. Having the screen room keeps the bugs & most dirt out of the pool and also keeps a cooler pool in the hot summer sun.

Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.