Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice please for pool size and patio size to meet the needs of a family of 4

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice please for pool size and patio size to meet the needs of a family of 4

Hello all! Potential new pool owner here. This will be the first pool I have owned, and the first pool I have built so all advice is welcome. We have spent considerable time researching design, and we are happy with the modified L shaped design of the pool. Our main concern now is whether to keep the pool at 28' long, which is reflected in the drawing and pictures below, or reduce the length to 24' long so we can end up having a full 9' of patio space on one end of the pool (as opposed to the current 5' of space).

My wife and I have a 5 year old son and 3 year old girl who love pools and swimming and playing in the pool. My wife and I will use it for lounging and relaxing, not for swimming laps or exercise, and not for diving (no diving board, no slide). Our current design has the pool at 3.5 ft deep in shallow end and 5 ft deep in deep end with multiple benches for sitting. There is also a sun shelf reflected in the drawing as well for lounging for the adults, and for playing for the kiddos.

We live in Central Florida one street off the water, and mosquitoes are terrible! So, we will have the pool enclosed by a screen. I plan on using the pool area not only for swimming, but also for entertaining, watching sporting events, and cooking. I am leaning towards more patio area and making the pool smaller, but wanted to hear from you all.

Does anyone have a 24' long pool, or 28' long pool, that can lend some insight on whether that is long enough for a family of 4 (99% of the time the pool will only be used by us 4, and on occasion we will have pool parties. In general, I do not expect more than 6-7 people max in the pool at any one time if the kids have a friend or two over, and every once in a while 10-12 people might be in the pool).

My concern is that with the current design at a 28 ft long pool, and where the child safety fence has to be (reflected in the drawing below, but not the rendering), that we will not have enough usable patio space to be able to not only entertain on occasion, but also to simply enjoy being outside even when we are not swimming (i.e. enough room for kids to play with toys, and for the adults to lounge, when pool season is over / at nights / when we do not feel like swimming).

So, all of that was a long winded way asking the following 2 questions:

(1) would you prefer a 28 ft long pool with 5 ft of patio space on one side, or a 24 ft long pool with 9 ft of patio space on one side, given the layout of our screened enclosure?
    (2) What are your thoughts on 3.5 ft deep to 5 ft deep pool given that it will mostly be used by the adults for lounging, and by a currently 3 and 5 year old for playing?

The drawing and a rendering are below

Thanks to all for any input!!!

Pool drawing with comments.jpg

Pool 2.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice please for pool size and patio size to meet the needs of a family of 4

Why do those families in the drawings always look happy? Don't the kids ever fight? And who is the extra woman?

Any way I think you will be fine. Parties may be tight but then you move the lounges.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Advice please for pool size and patio size to meet the needs of a family of 4

My suggestion is, if it is allowed by your local code, HOA rules, etc. buy a cheap (sub $500) Intex oval pool in the 10x18, 12x20, 12x24 size range and try it out for a few weeks (a 10x18 is $325 on amazon and includes the basic pump with cartridge filter (its not the best, but its functional) The similar 12x20 is just under $500. So for less than the price of a day trip to Disney World you could try it out and see how the general size works for your family.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Given the choice between pool space and deck space for a pool your size, I'd take pool space. The extra woman in the drawing can hang out inside if there is no room on the deck. Heck, the wife might not even want her there at all.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    And who is the extra woman?
    LOL subliminal messaging
    2016 Build: 32x8 Gunite, 6,700 gallon IG pool including 6x8 spa and 6x8 tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers. 32' raised wall with two sheer descent water features. Travertine Coping w/ split faced Travertine on raised wall face. 2HP VS Jandy pump, 400k heater, Rainbow Chlorinator, 4 Colored LED Lights. 459sqft spray deck plus. IAqualink remote, Polarus 9350 Robot Cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

"(1) would you prefer a 28 ft long pool with 5 ft of patio space on one side, or a 24 ft long pool with 9 ft of patio space on one side, given the layout of our screened enclosure?
    (2) What are your thoughts on 3.5 ft deep to 5 ft deep pool given that it will mostly be used by the adults for lounging, and by a currently 3 and 5 year old for playing?"

I would consider losing the L shape and making it just a rectangle if you're desiring more patio room. I would also make the pool deeper. Kids grow and will want to swim in deeper water (practice their swim team strokes) have races and such. I think too shallow pools in hot climates make for swampy warm water. I'd do at least 4' to 6' if possible.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

You'll probably be fine at 24' when it is just the four of you, but it might feel real crowded real quick when you start adding people, especially a pool party. Knowing how my kids (4, between 3 and 10yrs) use a pool, I generally lean towards the "bigger is better" camp. How do you envision using the 5' or 9' wide patio area? I think a 5' wide patio isn't useful for much other than a walkway. You might fit a couple of upright chairs in a 5' wide space, but that wouldn't really leave room to walk around them to get in/out of the pool. When entertaining, do you expect people to use the 5'/9' area, maybe adults sitting in that area while kids swim, or will the non-swimmers be on the outside of the safety fence? Unless you expect people to be spending time in that 5'/9' area, I would probably go with the larger pool and nonswimmers could either use the rest of the patio or be outside with the bugs.
    Owner Build. 32x16, with 6x8 raised spa. Broke ground April 1, 2016, swimming July 18. Pentair Intelliflo VS + Whisperflo for Water features; Clean & Clear Filter 420; Master Temp Heater 400k BTU; Intellibrite 120V pool and spa lights; Regular ol' plaster.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks to all for the suggestions! I have no idea who that extra woman is, the PB threw her in there. My wife will probably start asking questions now. This pool is already causing trouble!

9. Back To Top    #9

I have an indoor pool and the space along the side of the pool is about 5 ft on one side and 10 ft on the other. ALL the furniture and activity takes place on the 10 ft wide side, the 5 ft wide side is mostly a walkway (I think the 10 ft side may really be 10 1/2, as you can see every inch counts and it is tight fitting past the tables when people are sitting in the chairs ). You can get some idea of furniture spacing between walls and pool in my thread here from reroofing a few year ago. My not indoor pool at the moment

Ike

p.s. I would also go deeper on both ends
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

Also remember your kids won't stay small for long. Teenagers take up a lot more space. So I would vote for more pool.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

11. Back To Top    #11

I have a new pool screened room 35 X 50 with 12 x 22 covered patio pool listed below. Pool size works for us and feel its large enough for having friends over with out being over crowded. On a budget, so didn't want to go over board, it seems the sky's the limit, so plan on what you want to spend, take your time in design. There are so many things you can do that will make your price change so make a list of options, research them, see if pool builder can give you a deal. Some may give you them or include free. I got 5 options that were included and builder was lower than most. Having the screen room keeps the bugs & most dirt out of the pool and also keeps a cooler pool in the hot summer sun.

Good luck.
    28 x 14 x 6.5 gunite pool, Sun shelf w/ bubbler,riser w/ 2' waterfall. Pool / Step Bench with (4) Therapy Jets, Ozone system, Tropical Heat on Pool - 141k BTU electric heat pump/solar Pool Heating System-six 4'x12' panels. Paramount Elite in-floor system, Jandy control with 8 VS 2.0 HP motor, Jandy cartridge filter, inline Chlorinator, H2O ozone system, 1.5 hp Jandy pump for aux system Interior Finish Upgrade1 skimmer 6returns, 4 maindrains.

12. Back To Top    #12

+1 for pool size over deck space. You can always shift people and furniture around, but you will not be able to make your pool bigger!
    Swim ready :) My Pool Build Thread. IG shotcrete 34x16 Grecian shape. 22k gallons. 3'6 - 8'6 deep. 12x5 Baja ledge w/ 2 Bubblers, 14' raised beam sheer descent waterfall in stacked rock. Custom stone diving board. Hayward sand filter, VS pump, Aquarite T-15 SWCG. A&A In floor system w/ Gamma 4 venturi heads, Blue surf Pebble sheen, Colorlogic LED. Future Travertine Sandcastle Owner.