Some kind of stain??

eqbob

Jul 25, 2012
Central Texas
I've seen a small brown stain for the past few weeks right on the ring of one of the bottom drains. I had *assumed* it was from a screw and I'd place the screw when it was warm enough to get in there.

So last night it was warm enough. The screws are inches from this stain. It's on the plastic cover of the drain and some of it is on the plaster right in front of it... Think of a melted Hershey's kiss that has a blob at the main area and then dribbled out a bit. Obviously it's not chocolate, just going for a visual. Maybe 1/2 in width and the spreading out about 4 inches from the drain, decreasing in color intensity the further it gets.

Can't figure out what the stain is. Or where it came from. It doesn't wipe away with the hand/fingers. Have to try a cloth.

Any idea what this might be and how to address?

Can you post any pictures?

I have to find that post about how to do that. I have only done so in the very first couple of postings and there was a size limit (understandable) and I quickly hit that. Tried to link fairly unsuccessfully from Google Photos a few years past that point when I had calcium nodules and that article didn't cover how to do that and it was very trial and error. someone was kind enough to help but I'm not sure I remember the trick at this point in time.

So the answer is sure....I just have to figure out how to do so from Google and without going to get yet another account somewhere <G>

- - - Updated - - -

You could try the standard method ... rub/hold a chlorine tablet on it and see if there's any change (organic); or some rub/hold some crushed vitamin c tablets in a sock (metals). Maybe you'll get a reaction with one of those tests.

What changes would I be looking for? Does it turn color, go away, dissolve, etc?
How long do you have to hold something on it?
Can you buy just 1 tab at a pool store? I don't use tabs, so I don't have any.

What changes would I be looking for? Does it turn color, go away, dissolve, etc?
How long do you have to hold something on it?
Can you buy just 1 tab at a pool store? I don't use tabs, so I don't have any.
You would hope that any stain would react by getting lighter or perhaps even disappearing. You might want to work at it for about 5 minutes or so, making sure to rub the stain back & forth as to not let the tablet (acidic) or vitamin C stay in one place too long. Where to get one tablet? .. Ugh. I'd hate for you to spend $$ on even a small bucket. Maybe ask your local pool store if they have any in back that were broken? You only need one or part of one. Just a thought.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.