Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine staying up

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine staying up

Hello all,

I am new to the pool scene and have a question.

Our pool builder put too much CYA (110 ppm) at the start up and we had trouble holding chlorine and the pool turned milky. We drained down to get the CYA down and to try to get the pool balanced.

I have not had the opportunity to get lab readings, but I did a few tests of our own.

CYA: ~50-45 ppm
    FC: 15
    CC: 0

Since the plaster is fairly new he said not to bother testing for Alk for over a year. I am skeptical. We have a blue stained plaster.

Our chlorine after refill was over over 20, but dropped to 15 ppm and has stayed there over a week with out additional chlorine (tab feeder is off). We have had 90 degree sunny days.

Every time I check I have to add about 2 cups of MA which I understand is common with 3 month old plaster.

I have a separate question about the Taylor ph test in the TF_100 kit. Does it have anything to neutralize the chlorine? Our other test kit does and maybe I haven't taken the time to find it in this kit.

Thank you in advance.

Bobby Sullivan
    10K gal, Colored Plaster, 2 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair Quad DE filter, Paramount in-floor cleaning system w/2HP Pentair Whisperflo pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine staying up

With new plaster, you should not normally adjust either TA or CH for the first six to eight weeks after the plaster was applied. After that it is good to test and adjust the levels more or less normally, keeping in mind that TA and CH will both continue to rise slowly from the plaster curing for up to a year.

With CYA over 100 you might not be able to tell if FC was falling, but with CYA around 50 you should be losing at least 30% of your FC level each sunny day, and probably more.

There isn't any separate chlorine neutralizer, it is already included. The Taylor PH test is fine for FC levels up to 10, and is only off a little for FC levels up to perhaps 15 or a bit more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    There isn't any separate chlorine neutralizer, it is already included. The Taylor PH test is fine for FC levels up to 10, and is only off a little for FC levels up to perhaps 15 or a bit more.
    Would a drop of R-0007 (thiosulfate) help for higher FC levels?
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4

Not really. Everything that thiosulfate can help with has already been done in the Taylor PH reagent. Adding thiosulfate shifts the PH at the same time that in neutralizes the FC, so you throw the results off in a different, but not really better, way than FC alone does
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Back from the lab!

Pool Chem store readings:
    FC: 5 ppm (only reads to 5ppm)
    TC: 5 ppm
    pH: 7.8
    CH: 255 ppm
    TA: 95 ppm
    CYA: 100 ppm (I looked through the vile and thought it was lower, they have a 100 bar and 50 bar)
    TDS: 600 ppm

Pool Builder Lab using Bioguard test strip reader (skeptical)
    FC: 4.2
    TC: 5
    CC: .8 ppm
    pH: 7.5
    TA: 55
    adj TA: 27
    CH: 291
    CYA: 93
    TDS: 300 ppm

TF100 measurements:

FC: 7
    CC: 0
    TC: 7
    pH: 7.8
    TA: 90
    CH: 280
    CYA: 50

Temp: 84 degrees

Why would the CYA acid readings be so different? Call me confused. I have a science background, so I feel confident in my test procedures. Advice on which to trust? I match the Chem store besides CYA.

Regards,
    Bobby
    10K gal, Colored Plaster, 2 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair Quad DE filter, Paramount in-floor cleaning system w/2HP Pentair Whisperflo pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Trust your own results!

The CYA test is a little tricky until you get used to it. The results also vary depending on lighting. It is designed to be done outside with the sample shaded from direct sunlight. You tend to get higher readings indoors.

The most important thing is to get consistent results. Doing the testing yourself is the best way to do that.

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi Bobby and welcome to the forum

You got the TF100 and I absolutely agree that you should trust your own testing!

Just to help you get a visual on the CYA test, here's a link to Taylor:

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=44
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!