Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA level for covered pool

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA level for covered pool

Sorry if this has been covered many times before. I just got my SWG up and running today on a new pool build and I am balancing the water for the first time. Here are my current readings using the TF-100 test kit (which i LOVE). Everything looks good except the CYA and the CH which are both low. It is a fiberglass pool with a tiled gunnite sun deck. Is it still ideal to keep the CYA between 70-80 for a swg pool that is covered all but a few hours a day?

pH= 7.5
    FC= 3.5
    CYA=0
    CH= 75
    TA= 60

Thanks for all the help everyone continues to provide as I navigate the pool world.
    24,000 gal fiberglass IG pool w/ tanning shelf, Intelliflo VS pump, cartridge filter, Autopilot digital complete SWG, Pentair Easy Touch 8 automation, Raypak 400k btu heater, 3 color cascade bubblers, 1 brilliant wonders LED waterfall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA level for covered pool

I've always kept my CYA *slightly* lower due to the use of the autocover. It was more a matter of not having to buy more rather than a magical number I wanted to maintain. Last year mine was around 60ppm if i recall?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi tckgj,
    Although I don't cover my pool, I believe you still want your CYA in the 70-80 range as it is better for your SWG. I don't think it matters with pool being covered most of the time. The SWG works much better in that range, but if there is a difference with pool covered a lot, there is someone on here that can shed more light on this. hope that helps

There you go, YippeeSkippy had the answer
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

While part of your question may be dependent upon the type of pool cover you have, you may also want read this thread: cya and covered pool.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the replies! I have a blue auto cover on the pool and the only time it will be uncovered is the couple hours we plan to use it in the late afternoon. My reasoning for wanting to go with a lower CYA, if ok with a swg, is the target FC will be lower according the the chart. If this reasoning is way off base, please feel free to correct. I learn so much from everyone here.
    24,000 gal fiberglass IG pool w/ tanning shelf, Intelliflo VS pump, cartridge filter, Autopilot digital complete SWG, Pentair Easy Touch 8 automation, Raypak 400k btu heater, 3 color cascade bubblers, 1 brilliant wonders LED waterfall