Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ortega check valve shot

1. Back To Top    #1

Ortega check valve shot

My pool is 8 years old and i've replaced a lot of parts this spring. Stumped on what to replace the Ortega spring check in the spa return line with. The obvious choice seemed to be a Jandy 90 deg. spring check except it's not recommended for the flow direction. I have room to mount a straight connection vertically but once again Jandy shows flow down installation as a "wrong" on their installation instructions. Without this check my spa drains overnight enough to expose the plaster. I did install a new spring and seat but the body itself is worn so it won't seal with out a lot if silicon grease. Any ideas.
    10K gal, Colored Plaster, 2 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair Quad DE filter, Paramount in-floor cleaning system w/2HP Pentair Whisperflo pump.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Ortega check valve shot

You can install the Jandy check valves vertically, I am not sure why they suggest you can not. Although if the correct flow direction is down, I suppose it may not seal as well since the flapper would need to be pushed up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Although it will look goofy I could turn it up then down so there will always be a little head pressure. Too bad I didn't know any better when I built the pool and let the contractor install all plumbing without unions.
    Thanks for the reply,

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

They have springs in them to keep it shut. Jandy Spring Check Valve 7305. Jandy 7305. Zodiac 7305.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach