First Time Test Results, Where to Start?

Apr 11, 2016
Navarre, FL
As you know, I just adopted this "new" (new to me) pool with the house (and thereby, the "Pool-Idiot" nomenclature). And while waiting for the delivery of my new TF-100 test kit, I got the Salt level to 3200 PPM (from 2700). TF-100 just arrived. And I performed my first complete test. It appears that all test results are out of acceptable range(s) parameters, as follows:
- Active Cl - 5 (+) - K-1000 Basic Test
- pH - 8.2 (+) - K-1000 Basic Test
- FC - 8.0
- CC - 0.5
- TC - 8.5
- CYA- < 20
- CH - 100
- TA - 140

Other than turning down the Cl generator (or cutting pump / filtration time) to lower the chlorine levels, what chemistry level should I tackle first?

Thanks, as always, for your help.

If your water s clean & clear, then adjust pH first. You need that down to about 7.6. If it continues to rise quickly, it's probably because of the elevated TA. In that case, lower pH to 7.2 (which lowers TA as well) but use aeration to raise the pH back up and continue this cycle as needed. Your CYA is low for a SWG pool, so you should add stabilizer for a minimum CYA goal of 70 pm. Hope this helps.

HI neighbor! I would work on the PH first. While you work on the PH you will be working on the TA at the same time.

I am not sure what you have and have not read so here is a good link for what to use for each one.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Here is the corner stone of TFP:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Let us know what else you need. Got any pics of this adopted pool???

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.