Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH Testing while Slamming

1. Back To Top    #1

PH Testing while Slamming

I have been slamming my pool for a few days. Still waiting on clear water. Prior to slamming, I lowered my Ph to 7.4. So, because chlorine is high (12), am I correct that I can't get an accurate PH reading with my Taylor Test Kit? If true, how do I know if my PH is okay during the SLAM?

Thanks!
    East TN
    13,000 gal San Juan Fiberglass Pool;SWG; GoldLine Pro Logic Controls
    Hayward Sand Filter; Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump;Polaris 380; Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Raypak Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH Testing while Slamming

You don't. That's why you should be diligent about dosing regularly so it finishes fast and then you can adjust it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by creechy View Post
    I have been slamming my pool for a few days. Still waiting on clear water. Prior to slamming, I lowered my Ph to 7.4. So, because chlorine is high (12), am I correct that I can't get an accurate PH reading with my Taylor Test Kit? If true, how do I know if my PH is okay during the SLAM?

Thanks!
    My results with high FC...I had very high CYA, kept my FC 12-15 for several months (I would let the FC drop to 8-9 for a day to test pH), at my numbers I did not see any measurable difference in what the pH test showed.
    Valley of the Sun, Arizona.....10k gunite/pebble (Re-surface March 2015) w/in floor Caretaker 99 cleaning heads -- Pentair FNS 60 DE filter -- Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed for pool -- Pentair Wisperflo 1 HP for boulder waterfall...Taylor K-2006 & Taylor K-2006C kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy70 View Post
    My results with high FC...I had very high CYA, kept my FC 12-15 for several months (I would let the FC drop to 8-9 for a day to test pH), at my numbers I did not see any measurable difference in what the pH test showed.
    What you call high is not exactly shock level. Check out the pictures in this thread so you can see why we say not to mess with pH during a SLAM. Accurate pH test during shock levels with R-007?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    What you call high is not exactly shock level. Check out the pictures in this thread so you can see why we say not to mess with pH during a SLAM. Accurate pH test during shock levels with R-007?
    Yes, you are correct, not intended for during SLAM, but for many with high CYA using higher FC similar to my numbers I believe you still can get a reliable pH test....Thanks for the link, those pictures do tell the story.
    Valley of the Sun, Arizona.....10k gunite/pebble (Re-surface March 2015) w/in floor Caretaker 99 cleaning heads -- Pentair FNS 60 DE filter -- Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed for pool -- Pentair Wisperflo 1 HP for boulder waterfall...Taylor K-2006 & Taylor K-2006C kits