Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Would you decontaminate this hot tub?

1. Back To Top    #1

Would you decontaminate this hot tub?

Hello. Quick introduction - our old house that we sold had a small regular pool and I used TFP methods with great success. I appreciate all the information on this website! Saved me a lot of money and time.

My current situation:

We recently bought a house and inherited a small Jacuzzi brand hot tub. I had to fix a leak at the flow sensor and now it holds water just fine. Everything works now. I "superchlorinated" it when I started it up the first time. I drained the water and cleaned the surface and got it going just fine.

I got CYA level to about 30, CH between 100-150, TA was around 50, pH 7.2-7.5. So everything looked good! I used it a few times with no problems.

My wife then decided to use the hot tub. I had been checking FC levels daily and adding bleach. I told her to add some bleach to the water before using it and she did not do it! The water was a bit cloudy at the time. Anyway, she developed a minor case of "hot tub" folliculitis which is resolving. She now knows the importance of adding sanitizer.

So now I have the water looking great again. Looks clear. Latest test numbers (I have equivalent of TF-100 test kit):
    pH 7.5
    TA 50
    CH 110
    FC 14 (I added some today to get it to a shock level)
    CC 1
    CYA 30
    Temp is 90 degrees

I left the cover off today to let some sunlight get to it.

My question to the veteran hot tub owners is this - should I further decontaminate the tub with an AhhSome product or just use as is? I think the numbers currently look good as best I can tell and the water looks good. A 6 oz bottle of Ahhsome is $50 and a new set of filters is $80. If you all think it's better to use AhhSome and get new filters I don't mind doing it. But if not necessary I would rather not spend the money. The filters look clean BTW.

Thanks for your time

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Re: Would you decontaminate this hot tub?

ANY time you inherit a spa from others I feel it should be decontaminated. You don't know *what* the other folks may have had or done to it.

Biofilm in the pipes can hold a lot of cooties which later cause you problems. Ahh-some is a great product which helps rid the pipes of that biofilm. The cheapest place I've found for it is

G0 check out the Ahh-some website for a scary gross video showing green slime. Ugh!
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

I second the use of Ahh-Some just make sure to get the jetted tub / hot tub variety, now that they have became popular they have added a number of other varieties like the pool and hot tub filter cleaner, etc.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4
    Central Minnesota

Throw the filters in the spa water while you do the ahh-some treatment. It will help clear out the filters too!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Austin, TX

We have a hot tub that came with the house. We used a lot of Aah-some to get it un-icky. Throw away the old filters and get new ones too, they're not that expensive. Don't forget to chlorinate while aah-some-ing.
    Pool: 16,000 gallons, 16x31, 500SqFt gunite pool, White Pebbletec interior, built by Cody Pools. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, In-line chlor with Ultra UV, PV3 Infloor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch-P4 control. TF-100
    Spa: 525 Gallons, Coast fiberglass spa of unknown vintage and suspect previous care with a 2-speed main pump and a blower motor, both 4HP. 3-step bromine sanitized.