Extra Cost for Mitering Brick Coping

Mar 2, 2016
New Orleans
What do folks think about that? Contract does not get into much specifics at all re coping. We have always discussed doing brick coping. We have a free form pool. Actual PB (old grizzled fellow who's been excavating for decades) says we should miter the brick, it'll look much better, rather than having gaps as you go around the curves. So we agree on that. Then the boss lady (his stepdaughter) says, "oh, he's great at suggesting the nicest things, but doesn't tell anybody what it costs, it's a lot more work to miter it, need 3x as much brick, and it's 3-4 days of extra labor."

So first she wanted $935 extra to miter it, for extra material and labor. I spoke with her, and explained that the contract did not specify, she made a big deal that they weren't going to nickel and dime us, and said, fine, if there's more material than anticipated, we'll pay for that, but shouldn't have to pay for extra labor. She agreed to that, said she's going to tell her stepdad to miter it, "but not get crazy, not every single brick," which sounds fine to me. So we'll just keep an eye on them as they're doing it, make sure it's looking alright.

But just curious what folks think - is that reasonable to ask for extra money for that? Is it really that much more work and material? I suppose it is, but what really got me was that the contract did not specify at all, so of course they can use whatever excuse to say this, that and the other costs extra.

you bet its a lot more work.

having to trim (miter) each brick versus just making up the difference in the mortar joints?

sounds like you got a good deal on it tho, well done.

I think it's much ado about nothing.

Let's say the inner diameter -- the edge of the pool -- is 25 feet. The circumference would be about 78 ft. The outer diameter would be 25 feet plus 2 brick lengths, another 16" or 1.33 feet more. If the pool were a perfect circle, the difference in circumference is 16π or 50".

78 feet at 3 brick edges per foot is 240 bricks. 50"/234 = .21" That's less than 1/4" width difference in grout lines between the front and back of the brick.

What's the tightest radius on the freeform?

I doubt that it could take 20% more brick. Absolutely no way you could use 3 X as much. What, were the grout joints going to be wider than the brick?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.