My cooker and my pool...

eelhc

May 30, 2007
I'm usually on PoolForum but have been lurking on TFP. Figure I'd make an intro with both the "outdoor kitchen" and the pool.

80.jpg

Picture was taken last year during a 14HR pork butt cook soon after I installed the safety fence.

Jack...

SeanB said:
What do you use for fuel?

Lump charcoal for fuel... Here's my favorite (just took delivery on a pallet):

P1000606.JPG

And here's typical output

81.jpg

MY favorite Summer Satuurdays start with loading the cooker... a little gardening, yard + housework and a dip in the pool and someribs/pork butt/brisket...

Your pork looked awesome. What temp do you use in your ceramic cooker and how long to cook the pork. I tried Alton Browns method last week at 210F and while the pork was tasty it would not shred like yours looks like it does. It cooked for 5 hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
MarkC said:
Your pork looked awesome. What temp do you use in your ceramic cooker and how long to cook the pork. I tried Alton Browns method last week at 210F and while the pork was tasty it would not shred like yours looks like it does. It cooked for 5 hours.

1-1/2~2hrs per # @ 220~240*F

Pull it off the cooker when the internal temperature hits 195*F, leave the temperature probe in), wrap it in foil, wrap again in towels and throw it in a cooler (no ice... this is to keep warm). Monitor the temperature. The collagen will continue to break down while the meat is cooling down. Once the temperature is under 160*F again, pretty much all the work is done and you can pull (it'll actually fall apart on you). But if you can't wait you can pull earlier.

Patience is key... you can keep and hold the temperature in the cooler warm enough to pull and serve for several hours so make sure you allow at least 2hrs/# cook time (It's not a good idea to start a 10# butt at 6AM for a 6PM Dinner, for example).

Thanks for the tips. I pulled it off at 180 like Alton said and wrapped it in foil but did not wrap in towels or put in cooler to keep warm. I only let it sit for an hour as well. I'll try your method. thanks again.

MarkC said:
Thanks for the tips. I pulled it off at 180 like Alton said and wrapped it in foil but did not wrap in towels or put in cooler to keep warm. I only let it sit for an hour as well. I'll try your method. thanks again.

195*F... You can chop at 180*F but not pull. At 195*F you can almost pull right away but if you can wait, the foil/towel trick gets you closer to swine nirvina.

Now for the advanced course... If you put a pan underneath to catch the drippings, you can run it through a gravy separator to remove the fat. What you have left is awesome 'au jus'. Heat it up and pour it over the meat after you pull. This will keep the meat moist when serving buffet style over sterno (good for an all afternoon backyard barbecues).

Ever make your pulled pork in a pit? We did that a few years ago when a friend came from Hawaii - he dug the pit, burned oak and applewood down to coals, wrapped that pork marinated in honey, molassas, tomatoe paste, chili powder and salt in wet towels, then heavy foil, then buried it for 8hrs. OMG....YUM.

I followed your suggestions about cooking time and internal temperature and my pork came out awesome and pulled real easy this time. Even my wife said it was great and she is a tough critic. Thanks for the tips.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.