Sand Filter Problems

Two questions for the group- what is the effect of putting in TOO much sand? If you put in say 3 extra pounds above the mark, would it take several weeks to spit that out?

Which, by the way, did the original lost indicate that this happens after back washing and rinsing? (As opposed to happening in hardly detectable amounts while running in filter mode.)

One other thought- would it matter if the filter was not completely level?

That can only be either laterals that are out of spec (gaps too wide) or sand to small.
CFClay has it diagnosed pretty well.

Sand gets through your laterals if the Sand itself is out of spec (which we have seen on this forum with some Quikcrete sand) or you have a damaged or dislodged lateral that is allowing your OK sand to get through.

Before you jump headlong into zeobrite (not my favorite solution), I would suggest you drain the sand out of the filter and inspect the laterals for ANY sign of damage that is letting sand through. Next refill the sand with what you know to be good quality pool sand in the right quantity. The problem should be solved.

Yes. I did turn the machine off before switching the valve and also ONLY turned it counter-clockwise as per the manual. The YouTube video showed the guy turning it both ways lol :). I won't be home till later this afternoon and I'll try and redo the picture at that point. Thanks everyone for your input!

The manual says only turn counter clockwise????? I never caught that.

CFClay has it diagnosed pretty well.

Sand gets through your laterals if the Sand itself is out of spec (which we have seen on this forum with some Quikcrete sand) or you have a damaged or dislodged lateral that is allowing your OK sand to get through.

Before you jump headlong into zeobrite (not my favorite solution), I would suggest you drain the sand out of the filter and inspect the laterals for ANY sign of damage that is letting sand through. Next refill the sand with what you know to be good quality pool sand in the right quantity. The problem should be solved.

Again, second filer, same issue and using HTH sand. I already inspected the laterals and no issues were found except sand going through them.

Do they make a "lateral sock"? Lol. This is bugging me too, trust me. I'm just several days behind you. I can't see if sand is on the bottom yet- I can't see the bottom, just started at 8 am.
115150c792a54a70b3b41ec696e68a07.jpg

Do they make a "lateral sock"? Lol. This is bugging me too, trust me. I'm just several days behind you. I can't see if sand is on the bottom yet- I can't see the bottom, just started at 8 am.
115150c792a54a70b3b41ec696e68a07.jpg

I'm guessing you won't have a problem considering you have a much larger pool. I still think it has to do with height. Not 100% sure though. And I have no clue what I can do to fix it where it won't cost to much. I'm also in a rental home, so o can't relandscape the place lol :)

989bdd74b5e552e982dadf4576e22f9e.jpg

We are going to solve it though! This is my third pool, and I bought this petite pump, and sold off some other equipment I was having trouble with. This has really bothered me, so as soon as I get my slamming done and can see and vacuum… We will try and diagnose this together.

If I might brag – this photo represents eight hours of some pretty good work don't you agree?

Intex SF15220 Owner's Manual (Page 13 of 29)

This is what I found in the manual, once again it always points to wrong sand, or damaged laterals. No where did I find mention of placing water in the filter bell before putting in the sand.

Sand loading: IMPORTANT: Use only No. 20 silica sand with particle size range 0.45 to 0.85 mm (0.018 to 0.033 inches) and a Uniformity Coefficient less than 1.75. NOTE: Before loading the tank with sand, ensure the center pipe hub assembly is securely in place at the bottom of the tank, and vertically centered inside the tank.

1. Place the sand shield (6) over the top of the center pipe. Pour the sand into the tank at a slow rate. 2. Fill the tank approximately half way, remove the sand shield (6) from the (see drawing 16). 6 3. Evenly distribute the sand inside the tank, then fill the tank with some water to provide a cushioning effect when the remaining sand is poured in. This prevents the center pipe hub (7) from excessive shock Place the sand shield (6) back and continue to pour the sand into the tank. 4. Sand shall be filled between the "MAX" and "MIN" marked gauge on the center pipe. Evenly spread and level out the sand by hand (see drawings 5. Remove the sand shield (6). 6. Wash away all sand around the top edge of the tank. SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS (162) MODEL SF15220 SAND FILTER PUMP ENGLISH 7.5" X 10.3" PANTONE 295U (see drawing 15). 15 17 7 MAX MIN 6 (see drawing 17). 17 & 7 MAX MAX MIN MIN MAX MIN 09/28/2010 English 162 top. 16 18). 18 Page 13

Ok! I have tried new sand, I have tried new pump, I now have tried ZeoSand. Guess what??!!!! NOTHING WORKS! But wait.. There was one more thing I didn't think of! What if... I dump all the sand out... All the ZeoSand out... And run it that way?

YAY! PROBLEM SOLVED! NO MORE SAND IN THE POOL!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do believe that I fixed the problem. And I've done the same thing as you read my posts. I'm now 7 days into my season, and I can't see the sand inside, I do see some (and remove it) at the bottom of my pump strainer (if that's what it's called), and my Intex auto cleaner (just purchased- that's kind of groovy), picked up a good bit.

However, all of that was was already in the pool before opening I believe.

One thing I did do- was gently brush and blow out all of the sand from laterals and also the fine sand from the bottom of the 6-way port. Not sure if that had any effect.

I posted on another place- but I'll post this superstition: is there any way vacuum leaks could play a part in this sand coming back through?

Ok! I have tried new sand, I have tried new pump, I now have tried ZeoSand. Guess what??!!!! NOTHING WORKS! But wait.. There was one more thing I didn't think of! What if... I dump all the sand out... All the ZeoSand out... And run it that way?

YAY! PROBLEM SOLVED! NO MORE SAND IN THE POOL!!!!

Um....you're joking right?
No sand.....no filter.

Anyhow, I'm in the procces of changing sand.
Been a few years, so thought I'd jump in the forums and do a bit of refresher.

Now when I first added my sand, I don't remember adding any water. Just filled to the correct level, then added water, then the backwash and rince.
Although I do remember having to rince for a few minutes vs the "one minute".

Even after that, my first start up I did get some sand blowing into pool. But not a huge amount.

Anyhow, just trying to help.

Um....you're joking right?

Yes. I was kidding.

After switching to ZeoSand, I ended up just mostly getting fine dust in the pool and it settles to the bottom of the pool and looks horrible... I read another forum from a few years ago where someone else had the same problem and just ended up using a sock over the return to filter it. Then just clean the sock out every week or so... This is not my ideal way of solving the problem, but it's working for now.

If anyone else has a better idea, I would love to hear it, otherwise, "I will put a sock in it" LOL :)

The sand I buy from my local pool store says Light House on the bag. Comes from a company called US Silica. It works well and I have never had an issue with sand in my pool. On my old Intex pool I used an Intex sand filter for years and always worked just fine. My new pool is bigger so I use a bigger Hayward sand filter. It seems unlikely but could the filter head valve be defective?

http://pool-sand.com/index.html

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.