Opinions please on adjustments of return jets and skimmer with picture attached

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
We have a lot of landscaping around our pool, it's really nice but the tradeoff is A LOT of fine debris on the surface of the pool (mostly stays in the deep end circle). Even with suctioning strictly from skimmers and return jets circulating, I'm still getting an abundance of very fine particles on the surface (pollen, fine grass cuttings, dirt, debris, etc). My pool water is clear and the bottom is kept spotless with the Dolphin. I feel like I'm constantly, every single day, skimming the top of the pool and the next day it's immediately filled with a lot of very fine debris again on the surface. Skimming everyday is becoming a real strenuous job in itself.

Update: I've added a picture of my pool to the original post and labeled the 3 returns and the skimmer is circled in orange

- Return #3 (deep end) seems to be working really good, it's pointed slightly up at the surface (you can see the ripples) and pushes everything in a clockwise motion around the deep end circle towards return #2.

- Return #2 (I think some of the problem is here) is actually pointed slightly DOWNWARDS more towards the bottom...shouldn't it be point upwards slightly towards surface? I don't see any ripples on the surface where return #2 is pointing.

- Return #1 (shallow end, closet to skimmer, I think this is part of the problem too) is also pointing slightly DOWNWARDS and again I see no ripples on surface going towards the skimmer.

- The GREEN circled area is where most of the very fine debris stays put in the deep end.

This may sound a little stupid, but do I just unscrew/turn the return to adjust them? I've tried turning them but I can't get them to turn, probably because they've been in that position for a while. I was thinking about using one of those rubber things they use to help unscrew lids on bottles? Most of the debris gets hung up in the deep end and doesn't move or get to return #2.

Re: Flocculant used routinely to help keep surface clean...thoughts?

Bad idea, Boss. It has great potential to cause you more problems than a little schmutz on the surface of the water. Such as gumming up your filter, ugh!

Save your self the trouble and expense.

Try running your pump at multiple shorter run times so that the pool is skimmed frequently. Make sure your water level isn't too high that it doesn't allow the weir to work properly. Halfway is my guideline.

First I would make sure there is nothing wrong with your skimmer, is the weir door functioning, are you getting enough flow for effective skimming, etc?

I know your pain...azaleas, maple crud, hibiscus, etc. on a "mature" terrace on mine, plus a whole forest uphill...beautiful but a pita for the pool.

I use Pool Skim on one return, which creates a Venturi motion and collects most of it, and point my returns to create circular flow to the skimmer on the rest. Here's a link: Amazon.com : PoolSkim Pool Skimmer and Pool Cleaner : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

They seem to have jacked up the price on these the last few years but I'd pay it all over again for how much it has helped once its tweaked.

Flocculent would be the wrong product. It causes debris to clump together and as has been said will clog your cleaner. Clarifier decreases the surface tension of the water to allow debris to sink to the bottom. That being said lets make sure there are not some tweeks you can do for your skimmer to work more efficiently. How long do you run the pump each day? Do the prevailing winds blow away from your skimmer? Do you have a two speed or variable speed pump?

First I would make sure there is nothing wrong with your skimmer, is the weir door functioning, are you getting enough flow for effective skimming, etc?
Not sure if this is normal or not, but I don't think my skimmer has a weird door attached? This may sound stupid, but should all skimmers have the door or do some not?

- - - Updated - - -

Flocculent would be the wrong product. It causes debris to clump together and as has been said will clog your cleaner. Clarifier decreases the surface tension of the water to allow debris to sink to the bottom. That being said lets make sure there are not some tweeks you can do for your skimmer to work more efficiently. How long do you run the pump each day? Do the prevailing winds blow away from your skimmer? Do you have a two speed or variable speed pump?

I thought it was the other way around? I thought clarifiers clump all the small particles together and flocculant sinks everything down to the bottom?

Yes. All skimmers should have a weir door. This is so that no matter the water level, there is increased flow rate at the mouth of the skimmer, creating better skimming action. If you can find out the model of your skimmer, you can order a replacement. Otherwise there are some universal weir doors where you can adjust the width when installing that should work. A weir door makes big difference in skimming ability.

Amazon.com: weir door

EDIT:

If you can't determine your skimmer manufacturer or model, there is also a conversion kit to make a pool skimmer a center floating weir style as well, like spas typically have. I've always thought it was a cool idea, but have never tried it. I might in my one skimmer where the weir door tends to sometimes get stuck vertically when the kids are making lots of waves. I could probably take the door out and sand down the top edges... but I need an excuse to try this right?!!?! Pool Tool Skimmer Weir Conversion # 130

Update: I've added a picture of my pool to the original post and labeled the 3 returns and the skimmer is circled in orange

- Return #3 (deep end) seems to be working really good, it's pointed slightly up at the surface (you can see the ripples) and pushes everything in a clockwise motion around the deep end circle towards return #2.

- Return #2 (I think some of the problem is here) is actually pointed slightly DOWNWARDS more towards the bottom...shouldn't it be point upwards slightly towards surface? I don't see any ripples on the surface where return #2 is pointing.

- Return #1 (shallow end, closet to skimmer, I think this is part of the problem too) is also pointing slightly DOWNWARDS and again I see no ripples on surface going towards the skimmer.

- The GREEN circled area is where most of the very fine debris stays put in the deep end.

This may sound a little stupid, but do I just unscrew/turn the return to adjust them? I've tried turning them but I can't get them to turn, probably because they've been in that position for a while. I was thinking about using one of those rubber things they use to help unscrew lids on bottles? Most of the debris gets hung up in the deep end and doesn't move or get to return #2.

Can't see a pic. The first problem to fix is definitely the weir, that will increase your skimmer efficiency immensely. Here are even more choices, Pool Skimmer Weirs. Skimmer Weir Doors. Skimmer Weir. Sometimes the name of the skimmer is on the bottom of the lid.

Maybe try uploading pic to Photobucket (free), copy the IMG code right of pic and paste it in your post.

Is the bezel of the eyeball gnurled? If so then yes it should unscrew and you can repoint the eyeball. I have to use channel locks to loosen sometimes. Be careful, it doesn't take a lot of force and you don't want to break it. Trying the rubber lid thingy is good to try first.

The idea is to get a good clockwise or counterclockwise flow going. Try them both and see which works best. With a pic we might be able to offer more suggestions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can't see a pic. The first problem to fix is definitely the weir, that will increase your skimmer efficiency immensely. Here are even more choices, Pool Skimmer Weirs. Skimmer Weir Doors. Skimmer Weir. Sometimes the name of the skimmer is on the bottom of the lid.

Maybe try uploading pic to Photobucket (free), copy the IMG code right of pic and paste it in your post.

Is the bezel of the eyeball gnurled? If so then yes it should unscrew and you can repoint the eyeball. I have to use channel locks to loosen sometimes. Be careful, it doesn't take a lot of force and you don't want to break it. Trying the rubber lid thingy is good to try first.

The idea is to get a good clockwise or counterclockwise flow going. Try them both and see which works best. With a pic we might be able to offer more suggestions.

Ok I was actually just editing the post, so maybe now you can see the pic. Let me know if you can see it. It's at the top in the original post. And yes the bezel of the eyeball has grooves to help grip. The eyeball looks like it stays pointing in one direction.

Yes, I can see the pic now. I would set up for counter clockwise because there is a chance that return 1 will push debris right past the skimmer. You should be able to move the eyeball in the bezel. It can be a little difficult but I usually can with a towel or something pushing down on a hard surface. Although, sometimes I just leave them a little loosely screwed in to point them, if they stay pointed the right direction.

I've got somewhat of the same issue so I'm curious to see what others have to say. I've read conflicting information as to if the returns should point upwards and show a visible disturbance in the water or point downwards.
I agree, I would think that simple physics would say that in order to make the objects on top the water move, the jets must create a ripple affect at the surface.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I can see the pic now. I would set up for counter clockwise because there is a chance that return 1 will push debris right past the skimmer. You should be able to move the eyeball in the bezel. It can be a little difficult but I usually can with a towel or something pushing down on a hard surface. Although, sometimes I just leave them a little loosely screwed in to point them, if they stay pointed the right direction.
Would the spa overflow waterfall have any affect on this too. It seems to me that if I put return #3 going counter clockwise (pointing towards spa overflow) then it would be counteractive bc the spa overflow would be pushing everything back towards return 3?

In order to quickly determine how your flow is working, some people use a bunch of ping pong balls or similar to simulate your floating debris. I have to re-aim my returns each spring after opening. Last night, I kept the pool light on and these big bugs, about the size of a cough drop, kept visiting...quite helpful in getting the flow right! Sometimes it doesn't take much of a change to make a big difference. I'd suggest changing one at a time and reviewing the effect. It's not always the obvious directions that create the best skimming effect.

My pool is rectangular with three returns on the long side opposite my 2 skimmers. And a fourth return (pressure vac) between the skimmers pointing opposite the other three returns.

I added one of these AQUAPower Skimmer Door - OFFICIAL SITE last year, I had also previously bought one of the Infusion venturi eyeballs made by the same people for the deep end of my pool a couple of years ago. They cost a bit more than the universal generic models, but so far I am very happy with both, if I had to pick between them I would say the Infusion Eyeball is the more impressive product, but both are good.

Do you have a main drain on both ends of the pool? Aim all jets slightly up from level. Create a circular flow at the surface of the pool, but don't aim so high that it's aerating the surface. You know, just a nice easy flow on the top.

No, I have 2 main drains but they're both in the deep end. I took a look at the skimmer today looking from outside inward and noticed that it's gets REALLY NARROW as it goes in. I don't see a door or even a place where a weir door would have gone? Are you guys sure that ALL skimmers are made to have doors?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.