Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: !! Frustrated and needing Help!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation !! Frustrated and needing Help!!

Hey Everyone,
    I've been creeping on this site for years now and every issue I've had regarding pool maintenance, someone here had the knowledge to fix it. I've not crossed a problem that I can't find an answer to until now. Perhaps my creeping ability is slipping! So here goes.

On start up last Saturday, my typical green swamp that awaits me every spring was once again here to say, Hello.
    I've SLAMMED and got her a nice cloudy blue since yesterday however something appears amiss with my pump OR so I think. I am having LOW FLOW on return and HIGHER PRESSURE on my gauge intermittently. The Husby and I have checked all pipes, connections. No leaks, cracks, nothing that we can see. I can switch to bypass to pool for 30 seconds and go back into filter mode and the flow picks back up to norm. After an hour or so, I'm back to low flow and higher pressure. Pressure gauge typically runs around 13 at happy hour and 18 when I need to back wash.
    Am I just being a Negative Nancy and impatient while the sand filter is working overtime and needing to backwash a lot more often or perhaps is something else my issue. I don't recall having this issue last year. Any help, input, advise would be great.

Thanks,
    T
    Above Ground 18x33 Oval Vinyl
    1.5 HP Waterway
    Sand Filter
    Pool Owner & TFP Creeper since 2011

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: !! Frustrated and needing Help!!

Welcome to TFP!!!

Certainly sounds like the filter is doing its job, especially if the flow is fine on bypass.

Waiting for a pressure of 18psi is really too long. We recommend the backwash at 20-25% over your clean pressure, so that would be around 16psi.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: !! Frustrated and needing Help!!

Thank you for the Welcome! So I am an Impatient Negative Nancy haha! I'll keep rocking on for a few days and hopefully I will come back with a full update of I am OVERREACCTING!!
    Above Ground 18x33 Oval Vinyl
    1.5 HP Waterway
    Sand Filter
    Pool Owner & TFP Creeper since 2011