Brand Spankin' New

derryank

Gold Supporter
Apr 4, 2015
Boston MA
Hiya everyone,

New. Brand new! No idea about pools, pumps, algae or any of that good stuff.

I do know what we have out our back though and would like to share with you.

417209d5226daa2d990e7890b13185f5.jpg

f82f7a646a97c47ff56f5606c8387131.jpg

6250af2403c3769476df17f514a8ac3f.jpg

I've read about this Test Kit everybody keeps referring to.....should I buy this?
Shall I need the salt test kit?

Also, in the market for a pool robot.....one step at a time I guess.

8a2eb55b36cbf113dfed67945e120760.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Yes you need one of the Recommended Test Kits, without it you are running blind.
I would suggest adding the Taylor salt kit as well.

That looks like a bunch of dead algae on the floor ... that points to the need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

But, if you are as new as you say, you might want to check out Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
Water Balance for SWGs

Welcome! :wave:

Yesyesyes on the test kit. Without one, you're working blind. And pool store testing isn't a sufficient substitute. They're there to sell pool chemicals, not test water for free just because they're swell people.

Skip reading the comparison on pool school and just head over to TFTestkits.net and order up a TF100 and some salt test strips. I'll also tell you that nobody who has a speedstir regrets buying it.

Welcome!

You're about to be overwhelmed by information. It's all awesome and will make sense as you put the pieces together.

Yes, get the test kit. While waiting for it to arrive read up on pool school. Feel free to ask any questions.

Congratulations on finding TFP, the best (and pretty much last) pool resource you'll ever need. I joined last year when we got a house with a gorgeous pool, had a pool guy for three months or so while we moved and settled in. Since I ditched the pool guy (actually, he ditched me, but it was mutual and friendly), I have come here for how to's, advice, exotic giant bug in my pool, bottom-feeding pool vac stopping working frequently, and have fixed a laundry list of little things since then, and partially drained and refilled twice to get the CYA where I want it. Hubby is terribly impressed (and he is not easy to impress!) when something crops up and I fix it, usually spending $0-$20.

Yes, get the recommended test kit. Once you get it and post your test results here, you will get the advice you need to clear that grunge on the bottom and be well on your way to a sparkling clear pool!

I do know what we have out our back though and would like to share with you.
1st Pic is your Salt Water Chlorine Generator. The "sanitizer output" is the percentage of time that your pump is running in which the cell will produce chlorine. The exact setting will vary between every pool and pump schedule, but is very easy to dial in once you get a Taylor K2006 or TF100 test kit. The TF100 is affiliated with this forum, but is genuinely the better value in my opinion - I paid full price for both.
Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators

2nd Pic is your salt filter (but I'm guessing you knew that) You can read about those work, and how to backwash here:
Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

3rd pic is your pump, which you run on a timer. Good info here: Pool School - Pool Circulation System

Shall I need the salt test kit?
Highly recommended and not very expensive. Accurate testing+pool math takes any guesswork out of what you add to your pool.

Pool Math: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

TF100 Kit: TFTestkits.net
K2006 (alternative to TF100):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004BGF7TI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1461737742&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Taylor+k2006&dpPl=1&dpID=51WYvoTHAbL&ref=plSrch

Taylor Technologies 81329 Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit
Salt Test: TFTestkits.net
[url]http://www.amazon.com/TAYLOR-TECHNOLOGIES-INC-K-1766-CHLORIDE/dp/B001DO35EU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461733245&sr=8-1&keywords=taylor+k1766

[/URL]

Hi Pinguy, just ordered the 3 items above as suggested. Should be here by Friday.... cleaned the pool with the robot on Saturday and looks good. Still no tests performed this year. I did notice tonight the SWG indicator was red in color suggesting no flow/power off? All electrically good. Not sure what's up here... should I wait for the test kit, or add something?? Cheers

Sorry there has not been an answer about the SWG. That is not something I know about. I am hoping someone who is will pop on that is.

When you get your test results post them up. That IS something I can help with! LOL

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.