Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand Spankin' New

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand Spankin' New

Hiya everyone,

New. Brand new! No idea about pools, pumps, algae or any of that good stuff.

I do know what we have out our back though and would like to share with you.

I've read about this Test Kit everybody keeps referring to.....should I buy this?
    Shall I need the salt test kit?

Also, in the market for a pool robot.....one step at a time I guess.

15x30 Oval 13,500 Gal, IG Vinyl built Fall 2015,
    TF-100 test kit
    Pentair Sand Dollar 40 Pump & Filter System 1HP Dynamo
    Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Dolphin Nautilus

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand Spankin' New

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Yes you need one of the Recommended Test Kits, without it you are running blind.
    I would suggest adding the Taylor salt kit as well.

That looks like a bunch of dead algae on the floor ... that points to the need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

But, if you are as new as you say, you might want to check out Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Water Balance for SWGs
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

Yesyesyes on the test kit. Without one, you're working blind. And pool store testing isn't a sufficient substitute. They're there to sell pool chemicals, not test water for free just because they're swell people.

Skip reading the comparison on pool school and just head over to TFTestkits.net and order up a TF100 and some salt test strips. I'll also tell you that nobody who has a speedstir regrets buying it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

You're about to be overwhelmed by information. It's all awesome and will make sense as you put the pieces together.

Yes, get the test kit. While waiting for it to arrive read up on pool school. Feel free to ask any questions.
    - Matrioux

2007 18K pebble IG pool - Wincor Pool Systems automation & SWG (under development) - DE Jandy DEL60 Filter - Jandy 1HP Pump - TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Congratulations on finding TFP, the best (and pretty much last) pool resource you'll ever need. I joined last year when we got a house with a gorgeous pool, had a pool guy for three months or so while we moved and settled in. Since I ditched the pool guy (actually, he ditched me, but it was mutual and friendly), I have come here for how to's, advice, exotic giant bug in my pool, bottom-feeding pool vac stopping working frequently, and have fixed a laundry list of little things since then, and partially drained and refilled twice to get the CYA where I want it. Hubby is terribly impressed (and he is not easy to impress!) when something crops up and I fix it, usually spending $0-$20.

Yes, get the recommended test kit. Once you get it and post your test results here, you will get the advice you need to clear that grunge on the bottom and be well on your way to a sparkling clear pool!
    ~11,250 gallon, in ground, Pebble-Tec finish, Hayward SwimClear cartridge filter, Hayward Super II pump, Hayward bottom vacuum NaviGator (I call him Fred), waterfall feature, TF-100 Test Kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Read all of the threads about SLAMMING that you can. (Look for the "Help me" type threads.) that will give you a good idea what to expect once you get your kit. And welcome!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by derryank View Post
    I do know what we have out our back though and would like to share with you.
    1st Pic is your Salt Water Chlorine Generator. The "sanitizer output" is the percentage of time that your pump is running in which the cell will produce chlorine. The exact setting will vary between every pool and pump schedule, but is very easy to dial in once you get a Taylor K2006 or TF100 test kit. The TF100 is affiliated with this forum, but is genuinely the better value in my opinion - I paid full price for both.
    Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators

2nd Pic is your salt filter (but I'm guessing you knew that) You can read about those work, and how to backwash here:
    Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

3rd pic is your pump, which you run on a timer. Good info here: Pool School - Pool Circulation System

Quote Originally Posted by derryank View Post
    Shall I need the salt test kit?
    Highly recommended and not very expensive. Accurate testing+pool math takes any guesswork out of what you add to your pool.

Pool Math: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

TF100 Kit: TFTestkits.net
    K2006 (alternative to TF100):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004BGF7TI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1461737742&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Taylor+k2006&dpPl=1&dpID=51WYvoTHAb L&ref=plSrch

Taylor Technologies 81329 Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit
    Salt Test: TFTestkits.net
    http://www.amazon.com/TAYLOR-TECHNOL...s=taylor+k1766

8. Back To Top    #8

HI! I am here to say they ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ all have you covered! My job is easy-sit back and watch you learn! LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Hi Pinguy, just ordered the 3 items above as suggested. Should be here by Friday.... cleaned the pool with the robot on Saturday and looks good. Still no tests performed this year. I did notice tonight the SWG indicator was red in color suggesting no flow/power off? All electrically good. Not sure what's up here... should I wait for the test kit, or add something?? Cheers

10. Back To Top    #10

Sorry there has not been an answer about the SWG. That is not something I know about. I am hoping someone who is will pop on that is.

When you get your test results post them up. That IS something I can help with! LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit