Swimming/Shocking (Test #'s added 5/8)

graffster

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 19, 2008
My kids are dying to get in the pool!!! I've kept them out while I've been shocking for 2 reasons:

1-I figured the chlorine level was too high to comfortably swim, and
2-If I'm trying to kill 'yukky stuff', kids just add more 'yukky stuff' (and I have 5 of them!!), so I'd be slowing down the process.

Is my thinking correct? And if it is, when is it good for them to get in?

Re: Swimming/Shocking

As long the the chlorine level is below the shock level for your CYA, it is generally thought of as safe to get in.

As for the yucky stuff, I would think that as long as your CC is < 0.5, it is probably safe from a sanitation perspective.

257WbyMag said:
As long the the chlorine level is below the shock level for your CYA, it is generally thought of as safe to get in.

As for the yucky stuff, I would think that as long as your CC is < 0.5, it is probably safe from a sanitation perspective.
I agree. :lol:

OK, thanks...but i haven't gotten to that point where my FC isn't dropping overnight. So technically, my FC SHOULD be at shock level...right???

OK...I think I'm done 'shocking'! Here are my new numbers:

FC 6
CC 0
TC 6
pH 7.8
CYA 40 (Just added powder form 48 hours ago to raise it from 0)
TA 160
CH 160
Salt 3000
pool temp 85

Will that CYA probably increase because it's such a "new" addition? Does everything else look ok? (I'm never sure what to adjust, and when!!)

Pool looks really good...just want to keep it like that!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.