Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swimming/Shocking (Test #'s added 5/8)

1. Back To Top    #1

Swimming/Shocking (Test #'s added 5/8)

My kids are dying to get in the pool!!! I've kept them out while I've been shocking for 2 reasons:

1-I figured the chlorine level was too high to comfortably swim, and
    2-If I'm trying to kill 'yukky stuff', kids just add more 'yukky stuff' (and I have 5 of them!!), so I'd be slowing down the process.

Is my thinking correct? And if it is, when is it good for them to get in?
    Sunny SW Florida! Uncaged Free-form IG pool, Pebble-tec finish, 20,000 gallons?? (Beach entry/tanning ledge is 9' x 9'; it's free form 37' x 19'. Depth 3 feet to max 5.5 feet. There's also an attached spa with spillover: 6 foot radius. Anything else?)
    Prologic computerized thingie with SWG; 1.5 hp Hayward II Super pump, cartridge (i think) filter. (Hubby contracted the whole thing...so I don't have a detailed list on what we've got!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swimming/Shocking

As long the the chlorine level is below the shock level for your CYA, it is generally thought of as safe to get in.

As for the yucky stuff, I would think that as long as your CC is < 0.5, it is probably safe from a sanitation perspective.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    As long the the chlorine level is below the shock level for your CYA, it is generally thought of as safe to get in.

As for the yucky stuff, I would think that as long as your CC is < 0.5, it is probably safe from a sanitation perspective.
    I agree.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

OK, thanks...but i haven't gotten to that point where my FC isn't dropping overnight. So technically, my FC SHOULD be at shock level...right???
    Sunny SW Florida! Uncaged Free-form IG pool, Pebble-tec finish, 20,000 gallons?? (Beach entry/tanning ledge is 9' x 9'; it's free form 37' x 19'. Depth 3 feet to max 5.5 feet. There's also an attached spa with spillover: 6 foot radius. Anything else?)
    Prologic computerized thingie with SWG; 1.5 hp Hayward II Super pump, cartridge (i think) filter. (Hubby contracted the whole thing...so I don't have a detailed list on what we've got!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by graffster
    OK, thanks...but i haven't gotten to that point where my FC isn't dropping overnight. So technically, my FC SHOULD be at shock level...right???
    Right.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

OK...I think I'm done 'shocking'! Here are my new numbers:

FC 6
    CC 0
    TC 6
    pH 7.8
    CYA 40 (Just added powder form 48 hours ago to raise it from 0)
    TA 160
    CH 160
    Salt 3000
    pool temp 85

Will that CYA probably increase because it's such a "new" addition? Does everything else look ok? (I'm never sure what to adjust, and when!!)

Pool looks really good...just want to keep it like that!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: Swimming/Shocking (Test #'s added 5/8)

Unless your PebbleTec is less than 8 weeks old, you want to raise your CH level to at least 250. It is probably also time to lower your PH down to 7.5. Other than that you are looking good.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Re: Swimming/Shocking (Test #'s added 5/8)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    . Other than that you are looking good.
    That's all thanks to you folks here at TFP!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!