Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My first test readings!

1. Back To Top    #1

Question My first test readings!

Hi all,

I introduced myself last week in this thread. Explained I just got the pool and inherited a "pool guy"
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...pool-chemicals

I just got my test kit today, and ran the tests! I think I did them right....we will see. Last week the pool was green, so I have added some liquid chlorine, and have removed the tabs. Pool looks good, its about 74 degrees, and a tad bit cloudy (considering it was black almost two weeks ago from a hail storm, I am pretty excited)

FC - 16
    CC - 1 <- this might be 0.5 I think I put in an extra drop
    pH - 7.8
    TA - 160
    CH - 400
    CYA - 80. <- does the black dot need to be totally hidden? I think it was....

Any recommendations would be very helpful. Tonight we are due for another hail storm (had one last night too...) could be up to 2 inches of rain.

thanks in advance!
    -Paul
    15k gallon IG plaster, 26x39 at widest points, sort of shaped like the great state of Texas!
    B2854 Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP single speed motor
    Tagelus TA-60 Sand Filter, Polaris 280, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My first test readings!

The black dot needs to be totally gone. CYA test should be done outside with back to sun in bright indirect light holding the tube at the top with 2 fingers at waist level. Pour it back and forth a few times to check for consistency.

After verifying the CYA level. Lower the pH to the lower pH (use PoolMath) and then follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process until you pass the 3 criteria to stop.

Consider dumping some water (since your CYA is a little high anyway) before the rain starts and let it fill the pool back up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you recommending the SLAM because of the CC and the mild cloudiness?
    -Paul
    15k gallon IG plaster, 26x39 at widest points, sort of shaped like the great state of Texas!

4. Back To Top    #4

Not too shabby, considering you've been working blind.

Grab as much hail as you can -- it won't have any CYA or CH in it, so it will dilute things. The pummeling may drive up the pH, so lower that now and then you should jack the FC waaaay up and get a final kill on the residual algae that's clouding things.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

You said the pool was green last week and you have been adding "some liquid chlorine" and still cloudy ... that is not good enough to ensure the algae is all dead. Follow the process ... we wrote it for a reason
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Over the last week, I have added one gallon of HDX bleach (8.25 I think) and two jugs of liquid chlorine KemTek liquid chlorine (10% I think) I think the pool guy added a pound of cal hypo as well (he gone soon...) I was going based on paper strip testing of FC (was trying to keep high because of the green)

Not questioning the process, just trying to understand when to do it. I will add some dry acid tonight to lower PH, add what liquid chlorine I have (I think I have three jugs left), watch the weather tonight, and check again tomorrow. Do I just check the ph and chlorine tomorrow?

thanks guys for your quick responses.
    -Paul

7. Back To Top    #7

I laid out what to do the in previous post

Verify the CYA.
    Lookup your required FC level (based on the CYA).
    Test your pH and FC
    Lower the pH, use PoolMath
    Add enough bleach to reach shock level FC, use PoolMath.
    Follow the SLAM process (need to be checking and adjusting the FC at least twice a day).
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry making you repeat yourself! Could not re-verify CYA tonight as is dark. But, based on the fact I think was pretty close, I lowered the pH with HTH pH down (hope that is not bad....all I have...) and added 4 gallons of HDX germicidal bleach (all I had on hand) PoolMath said do 5 gallons to go from 16 to 31. I also scrubbed the sides with a brush. Not to dirty. Pool had a few leaves at bottom from storm last night but Polaris got them all picked up in todays run.

Will verify CYA in AM, and measure FC, and get more liquid gold as some point in the day and add to maintain the 31 (assuming my CYA is 80)

thanks for helping out this rook!
    -Paul

9. Back To Top    #9

Likely your CYA is close. Looks like you are on the right track
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

HTH PH down is fine, just more expensive than 31.45% muriatic acid. I get mine at Lowes, pay attention to the percentage, they also sell 15% for about the same price.

Here is a very handy chemical summary page, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Alrighty, so last night we had quite a thunderstorm here in San Antonio, and a good amount of rain. No hail. Pool had quite a few leaves in it, but not too bad. Looks more blue, but still a tad cloudy. So this AM, cleaned out the skimmers, skimmed the leaves off the top, and measured CYA and FC.

FC 42
    CYA 70

So FC is high! FC for CYA 70 should be 28. So do I hold off until goes below 28 then keep at 28 (assuming CYA stays at 70) until the 3 conditions are met?
    -Paul

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by paulmaz View Post
    Alrighty, so last night we had quite a thunderstorm here in San Antonio, and a good amount of rain. No hail. Pool had quite a few leaves in it, but not too bad. Looks more blue, but still a tad cloudy. So this AM, cleaned out the skimmers, skimmed the leaves off the top, and measured CYA and FC.

FC 42
    CYA 70

So FC is high! FC for CYA 70 should be 28. So do I hold off until goes below 28 then keep at 28 (assuming CYA stays at 70) until the 3 conditions are met?
    Yes.

And it also sounds like you really need to break out a tape measure and then settle down with pencil and paper and figure out just how many gallons your pool holds so you can dose accordingly.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Agreed. Pool guy told me it was between 25 and 30. But deep end is just under 6 feet deep. I am thinking it is under 25. Will measure it up by section this week.
    -Paul

14. Back To Top    #14

Nice looking pool Paul, you sound like me with all this Texas rain lol. I hate it right now. Good luck!!
    Darla Reed :-)

25,000 gal, Nautalis NS60 D.E. filter, Plaster, IG, 30 plus yrs oval pool. Plaster resurfaced 10+ yrs ago.

15. Back To Top    #15

OK, so pool is so dang close to being crystal clear!

my numbers:

FC 26
    ph 8.0
    CYA 65-70

Totally forgot to do CC. Did not feel like wasting 52 drops to get it!!

Do I hold? Seems FC is right on track. It dropped from 42 to 26 in about 40 hours. Is pH an issue?

one more question....would like to swim this weekend, water is like 75 degrees! Is chlorine level ok for the kids? I assume by the weekend I can get to my range FC.
    -Paul

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by paulmaz View Post
    Do I hold? Seems FC is right on track. It dropped from 42 to 26 in about 40 hours. Is pH an issue?

one more question....would like to swim this weekend, water is like 75 degrees! Is chlorine level ok for the kids? I assume by the weekend I can get to my range FC.
    Don't worry about pH right now. The test is not accurate when FC is higher than 10 and gives a false high reading of pH. When you finish your SLAM, you can retest pH and adjust if needed.

As for swimming, it is safe to swim as long as your FC is lower than the shock level based on your CYA. Since your CYA is 70, that means your shock FC level is 28 so as long as your FC tests at or below 28, you are fine to go swimming.
    11,500 Gal Fiberglass IG Pool. Hayward cartridge filter with Pentair 3/4 HP pump
    500 Gal Fiberglass AG Spa with cartridge filter
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Re-read the directions for the CC. You should not need to use many drops at all.

Oh wait, I think I understand what you are saying, you did not want to retest the FC just to get the CC. nm
    Jason, TFP Moderator