Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Frog shorted out heater control board....

1. Back To Top    #1
    Minneapolis, MN

Frog shorted out heater control board....

Pool opening was today and I kicked the year off with an unexpected expense. Pool opening crew had a hard time getting my brand new (installed last year) Rheem 206,000 BTU heater fired up. They opened up the heater and discovered 3 frogs behind the control board. One of them met an untimley demise by hanging out on the back of the board and shorted it out. 500 bucks later for a new board and I am back up and running. At least the TFP method is saving me money on pool chemicals but ouch. Apparently I am not alone as the crew mentioned that they had the same thing happen with a previous client with a Rheem unit. The crew I used is really good, they showed me the emaciated frogs, the fried remains of one of them, and the back of the board with the scorched skin.

Question: Anyone know of a frog repellent I can put behind the control board to keep Kermit from having a repeat performance? These control boards are not cheap!

25,000 gal, In Ground, Vinyl Liner, 2 Skimmer & 1 Floor Drain, Polaris 280 w/ PB4 Booster Pump, Rheem 206,000 BTU, Hayward Vari-Flo Valve, Sand Filter, Century Centurion (A.O. Smith) 1.4 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Cincinnati, OH

Re: Frog shorted out heater control board....

Well, I have no ideas about frog repellant but that is one of the most bizarre things I've read on here. Ninja frog fail.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump