Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wiring AQR15 to a 2-speed pump motor w/integrated 2Green timer

1. Back To Top    #1

Wiring AQR15 to a 2-speed pump motor w/integrated 2Green timer

I have a Super Pump with AO Smith 3/4HP 2-speed motor w/integrated 2Green timer (see A.O. Smith 3/4 HP Full Rate Two Speed Motor W/ Timer - Round Flange (B973T, B2973T) 115V - INYOPools.com). Planning to get and install AQR15 SWG that has the following requirement: "Wire the Aqua Rite to the LOAD SIDE of the filter pump timer. It is very important that the Aqua Rite is powered only when the pump is running."

I am not sure how to wire AQR15 to my 2-speed motor with an integrated 2Green timer. I'd be grateful for advise.
    21K gal, IG plaster new 2010, 3/4 HP Super Pump with 2-speed AO Smith motor w/integrated 2Green timer, sand filter S-244T2, solar heating with HM-4000D controller, Dolphin M400 pool cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wiring AQR15 to a 2-speed pump motor w/integrated 2Green timer

My VS pump is wired directly to the breaker and runs on its own built in timer also. My SWG is connected to its own timer. I make sure to only set the SWG timer to run when the pump timer is set to run. Also, need to check that the times are synced up periodically.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

One option is to install a current sensing relay on the motor supply wire. When current is drawn by the motor, then the relay is thrown and power is supplied to the SWG.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    One option is to install a current sensing relay on the motor supply wire. When current is drawn by the motor, then the relay is thrown and power is supplied to the SWG.
    Brilliant. Can you elaborate on this? Assume standard electrical supply store carries the current sensing relay? I have two pumps, so would I need two relays - one of the pumps is a DC pump (Lorentz)...?
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I also just run my SWG on a separate timer and just set it for a time that I know the pump will be running. There is a flow switch that serves as a backup safety device, in case the SWG got powered up without the pump running, but it should not serve as the primary switching. A seperate timer is the simplest solution for VS and two speed pumps, that have their own timers. I don't want my SWG on every time and all the time my pump is on, but I also don't ever want it on when the pump is not on. So the easy way was just separate timers.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you all for the tips. I think I have a solution using my existing equipment. My power is from GFI breaker through an Intermatic 101-70 timer to a receptacle into which the 2-speed motor w/integrated 2Green timer is plugged. I plan to plug into this receptacle also AQR15. 2Green timer will be programmed for 24/7 (e.g. Hi speed 9am - 1pm for the first part of daily solar heating, Lo speed 1pm - 9am) but the pump and AQR15 will be both powered only when the Intermatic timer will be ON. Thinking of power OFF overnight - timing TBD/refined during operation. (Pool has not been opened because in Ottawa, this spring has been and will be rather cold till mid-May.)

Any comments would be appreciated.
    21K gal, IG plaster new 2010, 3/4 HP Super Pump with 2-speed AO Smith motor w/integrated 2Green timer, sand filter S-244T2, solar heating with HM-4000D controller, Dolphin M400 pool cleaner.