New lid is too tight on strainer basket Hayward help!!!

Babyal

Apr 26, 2016
Manchester, KY
I've had my pool with a Hayward Powerflo XL pump for three years. Last year the lid to the strainer basket broke and had to be replaced. The original was tinted and the new one was clear. I didn't have any trouble getting the old lid off and on but the new one has been nearly impossible to get on and off for me. I literally had to put all my weight on my knee to push it back down on there and ended up not being able to get it back on at all. I had to use a metal bar to turn it to get it off. I tried the old O ring, the new O ring, have lubed it all up good and I still can't get it on and off myself. I have to get my strong brother to do it and he even has a really hard time getting it. It has to be hammered on.

I checked with a local pool place and they recommended replacing the strainer housing. I ordered one and it's the same way. Anyone else had this problem??? I don't want to keep buying parts I don't need.

Are you having trouble just getting it onto the strainer or having trouble twisting it to get it tight? Most pump basket lids can just be set in place and the suction from the pump will hold them on. It sounds like you are not able to get it to fit onto the strainer housing?

It's incredibly hard to even get it down in the strainer. And when I do it's extremely hard to twist it to get it to lock or to get it back off. I don't know what the deal is. The pool place I got if from said they hadn't had any other complaints about the lids so idk what to do next.

The first thing to check is to make sure you have the right part. The correct part will seat comfortably on the top of the strainer basket without issue. I think you may be in need of a replacement.

Mine goes on smooth but to turn and lock into place takes all my strength. Mine came with the clear lid ... I use the lube from Hayward "Jacks". One thing that I did last week was to clean off all the old silicone lube, then apply a small amount of lube. The lid went on and turned much easier. I think I had too much lube on the O-Ring causing the lid to be very tight.

It is definitely the right part. I've checked the part numbers and I have also cleaned the old sticky lube off and still the same thing. My boyfriend is going to try sanding the strainer housing on the inside a little and see if that helps. I have literally tried and thought of everything. I may just have a new defective lid.

On my second pump system.Both of mine are hard.I've learned to make sure to cut of water supply from inlet&outlet and a rubber mallet is my best friend. Just a little tap and bingo.Same going on.I would rather be tight for sure

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.