Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising pH. Do I care about TA too?

1. Back To Top    #1

Raising pH. Do I care about TA too?

PH is 7.2
    TA is 50
    FC is 2

Should I simply add Borax to increase the pH, or do I need to be concerned with the TA?
    POOL SPECS: INDOOR, 22.5k Gal, Vinyl Liner, L-Shape, In-Ground, Main Drain (2), Skimmer (2), Water Slide, No Spa/Water Features (Dimensions, Pool Pic, Panoramic Pool Pic)
    HARDWARE: Jandy DEV60 Filter / JEP1.5 VS ePump / AquaLink RS Controller, Sta-Rite SR400NA 400k BTU Heater,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raising pH. Do I care about TA too?

Your TA is on the lower end, but not unreasonable. By adding Borax, it may also increase TA "slightly" as well. Lift the pH to the mid 7s now and see how it responds. If the pH still gets pulled "down" later, and the TA is still below 60, then you can always add a little baking soda later to raise TA to 60 and try that, then 70 if needed, etc, etc. Make sense?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Raising pH. Do I care about TA too?

yes, makes sense. Will add borax now and check on the pH in a few days. Thanks!
    POOL SPECS: INDOOR, 22.5k Gal, Vinyl Liner, L-Shape, In-Ground, Main Drain (2), Skimmer (2), Water Slide, No Spa/Water Features (Dimensions, Pool Pic, Panoramic Pool Pic)
    HARDWARE: Jandy DEV60 Filter / JEP1.5 VS ePump / AquaLink RS Controller, Sta-Rite SR400NA 400k BTU Heater,