Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deck Stain HELP

1. Back To Top    #1

Deck Stain HELP

So I have searched and read and read. I found a few sites that recommend TWP stain, but after digging, the websites are a fake and ran by the parent company of TWP stains.

My neighbor owns a paint/stain store and he used to recommend Sikkens, but now he switched to Benjamin Moore Arborcoat. Again, i read some horrible reviews on the BM stain.

Sikkens seems to be the most consistent with good reviews. Any thoughts???? What worked, what didnt, what would you buy again, what would you never touch again?

I'm gonna need like 7 gallons of this stuff for the floor.

Thanks,
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deck Stain HELP

I've been using Benjamin Moore Arborcoat (in solid) for 5 years with excellent results. I've used it on my privacy fence, railings and 5/4 treated decks. I've never had an issue with it peeling, etc. unless the wood has cracked open from natural movement. Once the wood opens up and soaks in water, nothing will hold on. I just bought a gallon for $46.

3. Back To Top    #3

I like Sikkens and Cabots. Lowes dropped Cabots (or vice versa) for a while but it is back now.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

All I ever use is Rymar semi transparent stain. Strong smell when first put down but lasts about 4 years easily. Sherman Williams carries it now.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I went with lowes oil based stain.. Any of the cheaper stains will last a year or 2 and then will need to be resprayed.. The best stuff was used by my "fence guy" but it is about 75 dollars a gallon and has a chemical smell that lasts about a week, but its great stuff
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6

Anyone ever used Flood stain? I found it while searching and it seems to get some pretty high reviews.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

7. Back To Top    #7

I used Armstrong-Clark Stain on my deck
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter