Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1-1/2" vs 2" piping?

1. Back To Top    #1

1-1/2" vs 2" piping?

we're still waiting for the drainage engineering to come back and in a bit of a holding pattern. I noticed on some builds here that 2" PVC seems to be the de-facto whereas some others have 1-1/2". I believe all the bids we got included just 1-1/2" and for sure the bid we selected does. any concerns here to bring up with the PB? We don't have any water features or an attached spa but just the standard returns, skimmers and a dedicated 1-1/2" suction cleaning line as a fallback since we're going with a robotic cleaner.

I should note the skimmer runs are independent lines runs back to the equipment and we're going with the Pentair 3HP VSP

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: 1-1/2" vs 2" piping?

How big is your pool?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It really does not hurt anything to have the larger pipe other than the small price increase for the PVC and labor. Although if you have multiple 1.5" lines it may not matter.

I would definitely use 2" after the lines are combined at the pad before the pump and then for all the pipe above ground.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks. I'll make a note to bring up with the PB. it's going to be a 17k gallon sport/play pool

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

17k is big enough to use the extra flow from the 2". It's certainly not a deal breaker to use 1.5 (and 1.5 would be perfectly adequate on,say, an 8k pool) but you will get somewhat better results so I think the 2" is worth it
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I suspect the difference in cost going with 2 inch vs 1.5 inch would be less than $50, certainly worth it in my opinion the 2 inch will be lower on head loss which can be important with a 3 HP pump, and I suspect it will pay back the difference in electricity saved over time.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Ours was 1-1/2" at well over 20k gallons. We remodeled, shallowed pool to 16K play pool and went with 2" plumbing.
    Very happy with the versatility I have now in combination with the intelliflo pump and larger 60sf de filter.
    Anthony 16,000 Gallon Oval, White plaster, 30' Long 15' Wide 5 1/2' Deep end 3 1/2' shallow end.
    Pentair Intelliflo, FNS Plus 60sf. DE, Pentair Intellibrite 5G
    TF100 Testkit