Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First swim in new to me pool, Found significant green algae

1. Back To Top    #1

First swim in new to me pool, Found significant green algae

Guys
    The water was 75 this weekend
    so I got in for the first time to look around

I found a bunch of green algae - mostly around corners of plaster and in the seams of lights and other items sticking from plaster

I went ahead and brushed most of it that I found. The 90 degree Fiberstars fittings were basically full of algae and trash

The swim jet had a mushroom size clump of algae or something growing near the controls

The question is my FC is usually between 3 and 5 and my CC is typically zero
    The water is clear.

Today I decided to throw a bunch of Cal Hypo in to raise the FC to 10 ish

Is it normal to see this kind of algae even with decent chlorine numbers ?
    Doug - Purchased 1/2016, 1995 house with 16x31 ft, ~23000 gallon Gunite pool w 11x7 spa, 3 Pentair VS pumps, a boost pump for polaris 3900 and a BaduŽ Jet super-sport swim jet pump, 1.5 hp blower, a CL460 Cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit. Aquapure SWG, iAqualink - Lots to learn. New Aquabright, Jandy LEDs, CMP LED Sheers.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First swim in new to me pool, Found significant green algae

No amount of algae is normal, and unfortunately the Cal-Hypo may not be doing you too much good either. You need to "SLAM" via the link below in my sig. Please read that page very carefully and follow the instructions to the "T" while testing with your TF-100. A SLAM will work, but you have to stick with it. Let us know if you have any questions.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and try to post a FULL set of numbers for us next time you get a chance. Thanks!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

PH is in the right range
    Ill run the full tests tonight

The odd thing is that other than the algae that I found in some mortar joints and in the fiberstars the pool meets the Slam standard

1. CC is 0.5 or lower;
    2. You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    3. And the water is clear.

One thing that likely is contributing to the issue is too little brushing
    But the areas that Im seeing issues wouldnt trypially get brushed from Pole brushing
    Doug - Purchased 1/2016, 1995 house with 16x31 ft, ~23000 gallon Gunite pool w 11x7 spa, 3 Pentair VS pumps, a boost pump for polaris 3900 and a BaduŽ Jet super-sport swim jet pump, 1.5 hp blower, a CL460 Cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit. Aquapure SWG, iAqualink - Lots to learn. New Aquabright, Jandy LEDs, CMP LED Sheers.

4. Back To Top    #4

Lack of brushing and/or poor water circulation around nooks & cranny's are contributors. But once we see your full set of test results, it will help tremendously. Weather is picking-up for us, so that also increases our ability to get algae if we let our guard down a bit. No worries though, we'll help you. Have a nice day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

I added more Cal hypo per Pool math and I still cant get FC above 7
    It hadnt all dissolved and the storms blew some stuff in the pool
    After the system runs this morning Ill restest and add some bleach ..

6. Back To Top    #6

3 jugs of 8.25% generic concentrated bleach will take you from 0 to 10 in 15 minutes.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Silver you get to B&B! LOL Bleach and brush! I would brush first then add the bleach to get your FC up to SLAM levels and keep it there for a few days while you brush some more. We need to get that algae out!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a little bleach, ( maybe a gallon ) looks like I need to take the hooptie to Walmart and buy about 10 gallons
    I was using the Cal hypo since the previous owner left about 60 lbs of it behind and I plan to use SWG once the pool is replastered.
    Im wondering if the cal hypo is so old its effectiveness is lowered or if the pool is just consuming it ...

Thanks to everyone for the help and encouragement

9. Back To Top    #9

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Great Idea
    While Im there

11. Back To Top    #11

Hooptie! LOL! Most likely the pool is consuming it. What is your CH level? 60lbs? Must have been a sale! What % calhypo is it? Each lb will add about 3 ppm FC and almost that much CH.

You can Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see how much chlorine your pool is using.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

There are 2 buckets - one 25 lbs of 73% that was almost full and a 100lb bucket of 68% that was about 30 % full
    Ive added 5or 6 16 oz scoops in the last 48 hours

The pool has such a leak that maintaining any level is tough - ch , salt, cya anything -
    until the plaster is redone Ive just been focusing on the PH and the FC

The hooptie is a 99 S10 pick up that is perfect for hauling bleach and other stuff that doesnt go in the SUV

13. Back To Top    #13

IMG_3479.jpg
    CCH left over
    IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3482.jpg
    Walmart pool sanitizer 10% and a little larger than the great value 8%

A gallon and a little and Im finally up over 10ppm

14. Back To Top    #14

Man I got lucky and snagged some of that 10% chlorine at 2.50, used it all to slam and now none of my Walmarts carry it!

27' above ground, 17500 gallons, Cartridge filter Hayward SW1000z4, A.O. Smith Pump SP1515Z1BC 70 GPM, Test kit Taylor TF-100
    Murfreesboro, TN

15. Back To Top    #15

Ok Here is full set of numbers
    After the predicted 2 gallons of bleach the FC is 12
    It was 11 early yesterday after a gallon+ of bleach then down to 7 last night
    the rest of the second gallon got it up to 12 and its stayed up over night
    CYA has dropped some - Im guessing due to rain and leak - Still have 2 floaters in the pool with pucks in them.

FC 12
    CC 0
    CH 250
    TA 60
    PH 7.5
    CYA 20

16. Back To Top    #16

Those are excellent numbers for a SLAM if you are indeed still SLAMming. Actually, it won't hurt you if the FC dips to 10 based on the CYA of 20. But be leery of a low CYA as often times when it's at 20 or so, it can actually lower than we think. Because of your leak(s), keeping a tab in there is probably a good thing right now to help with that CYA dropping. So keep those numbers where they are, keep scrubbing, cleaning the filter, and hopefully you'll see the SLAM work in your favor soon. Have a nice day. Nice work!

17. Back To Top    #17

Assuming that its ok to swim in water with FC of 10 I intend to keep it up there for 48 hours at least
    Give it time to get in all the knooks and crannies
    Ill go scrub the fiberstars lights again by hand to loosen up any renaming garbage
    May need to go buy a few more gallons of bleach while its $2.50

18. Back To Top    #18

That is a good price. Our Wal-Mart had them as well, but the Julian dates were a bit old. Just make sure to maintain the SLAM FC level until you pass the 3 criteria so that you're not doing the "SLAM dance" again in a couple week.

19. Back To Top    #19

It is safe to swim with FC up to shock level for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Just need to pass the Over night test - But even so Id like to keep the FC level up for 48 hours no matter the results

The Walmart chlorine dates were 80 th day in 2016 ( march 20 ) which isnt bad - i hope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast