Our Swamp

Herwick

Bronze Supporter
Apr 26, 2016
Ardmore, Ok
Hello, we bought a foreclosure house that has a swamp where the pool should be. Apparently the owners abandoned the house for 2 years, maybe more for the pool. There were tons of trees overhanging the pool. The bank drained about 2 maybe 3 feet from the pool prior to selling. While in escrow we had massive rain and the pool filled. Obviously we drained some of it. So for about 3 weeks I have been lurking and reading and trying to work on our pool.

We have the pump and filter up and running 24/7 we have been shocking and chlorinating like crazy. As well as cutting back trees and removing tons of leaves and debris from the bottom of the pool. There was a dead bird or two that we removed and a massive amount of frogs and tadpoles. Last week we finally stopped fishing out dead frogs and tadpoles and we were only getting live ones. We are still getting a lot of leaves but not near what we were getting. Now it seems like we stir up more dirt with only some leaves. We have been able to get our chlorine levels high throughout the day. We check and add in the morning (sometimes add more in the afternoon) and check again in the evening and they are usually still fairly high but it zeroes out overnight. Depending on time of day (morning or evening) PH is between 7.2 and 7.8, TA 80-120, TH stays around 200, CYA 0-50 it bounces around a lot.

The water was dark brown/black/dark green when we first started, it then went to a dark green and now its a light-ish milky green. So I know we are making progress but feel like we have stalled somehow. I still cant see the 2nd step in the shallow end. It doesn't seem to be clearing up anymore. Removing debris from the bottom is mostly only stiring up dirt and turning the water a dark green/brown again, it takes a day or two to go back to the light-ish green if we do "light work" on the pool. We have vacuumed to waste a few times but the water gets just as dark then as when we use the leaf rake. As I said, this last week feels like we have stalled and are just maintaining the point we have reached. Any suggestions will be greatly welcome! I really don't want to be at the same condition a month from now. Oh, and on a side note, how do we get rid of the frogs? They disappeared for 3 days after we cut back the tree limbs but this morning there they were, swimming around in the pool again!

The pool when we were viewing the house before buying.
DSC_0001.jpg

The pool after we bought the house. The rains had filled it back up.
This was right before we started working on it.
20160331_101914.jpg

The current condition.
After 3 weeks of work.
Capture3.jpg

Ooooh Wee! That's a gem! Welcome to TFP! Okay, lets cut right to the chase on what you need right now:
1 - The RIGHT test kit is a must. Please see the TF-100 link in my sig below, and when you order, include the XL Option and speed stir; you will need them.
2 - Don't put ANYTHING else in the water except for regular liquid bleach; about one gallon per day for now. That's all until you can post TF-100 results
3 - Read the SLAM page in my sig below. You'll live and breathe that for a week or two
4 - Stock-up on bleach and you will go through lots of that as well
5 - Continue to scoop and remove debris and post those test results when your kit arrives.

Let us know if you have any more questions. Glad to have you and the green monster with us. :)

Thanks, happy to be here, but wish it was under slightly different circumstances, a clean pool and question on how to keep it that way would have been nice. :) We started out with pool store liquid chlorine but that got expensive really fast. So went to Wally-World's liquid chlorine. We have dumped about 30 1 gallon bottles in so far. The pool store told us to dump some shock in, so we did as they told us. I think we used about 9 1lb bags in the first 2 weeks. We have not shocked since as the liquid chlorine seems to be doing the exact same thing. I will check out the TF-100 and SLAM links. Thanks.

Great Value bleach is perfect, although we won't have a good idea of how much you need until the TF-100 arrives. The "clouds will open" once you get that kit, and you won't be dumping chemicals blindly anymore. Best $$ you could spend right now. :goodjob: Don't put anymore than just 1 gallon per day since anything more might be a waste at this time. Definitely stay far away from the pool store. We want to clear that water while saving you money as well. Keep us posted when the kit arrives, and have a nice day.

The only way I've been able to keep the frogs out is to relocate them to a different area all together. I have a pond that I put them in.

Dang! We don't have a good place to relocate them to no ponds or anything nearby. The kids have actually been scooping them out and tossing them into the neighbor's yard. :twisted: Not much help as obviously they are coming back. Thanks for the reply though.

Okay! Nice. Now you can take full control of the SLAM. I'd leave the pH alone and focus on CYA and FC right now. You want the CYA ideally at 30 for your SLAM, with FC maintained via regular bleach at 12. You can use the Poolmath Calculator to add granular stabilizer for the CYA and bleach for the FC.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and suspend it near a return jet or in the skimmer. Best not to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level, although the test readings may take anywhere from 24 hours to a few days to fully register. Confirm CYA in about one week before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
Your CH is fine since you have a vinyl pool and no plaster to worry about. TA is fine for now as well. So just focus on increasing CYA a bit and pumping that FC up to 12 with bleach, then follow everything you see on the SLAM page. You should begin to see improvements soon. Remember not to let-up on any of the SLAM requirements until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Take a pic or two each day to monitor and see your progress. Pics near the stairs or ladder work well so you can see down into the water.

So 2 days of SLAMing our pool so far. Our innitial FC was .23 we had to add 5 gals of bleach to get it up to 12 and we got the CYA from 9 up to 30. Our readings the next morning were FC 3.53, CYA 28. Added more bleach, that night readings were FC 9.78, CYA 30, brought FC back up to 12. This morning the readings were FC 7.59, CYA 24. Added more bleach. Current readings are FC 12.34, CYA 30 pretty sure added a bit to much bleach this morning for the reading to still be so high.

Numbers look good I am guessing, as I understand it the better the pool is getting the less the numbers will fluctuate? My top step looks more yellow than green and the pool looks more brown than green. I also, before scrubbing and vacuuming, can just see the jets! Hopefully tomorrow will show continued progress.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
oh wow! I finally found one worse than mine was when I first came here! The last pic you posted though is where I was at when I found this site, and had already been at it for some time following pool store advice. Keep doing the SLAM process, and it will pay off.

oh wow! I finally found one worse than mine was when I first came here! The last pic you posted though is where I was at when I found this site, and had already been at it for some time following pool store advice. Keep doing the SLAM process, and it will pay off.

How long did it take you to clear your pool? Obviously it will differ but I would kind of like a bit of an estimation.:D

Herwick, can you confirm which test kit your ordered/received please? It might be a good idea to add that to your sig as well. I ask because it's not that common to see someone try to list an FC reading to the 10th or 100th position. Usually it's just an FC of 3, 5, 12, 15, etc. Also, how much are you filling the test tube with water for each FC sample (10 ML or 25 ml)?

Including the time I spent before I found tfp it was 36 or 38 days iirc. But in all honesty, at least 2- 3 weeks of that was a waste because of my inexperience and pool store info.

Exactly 10 days from the time I made my first post to finishing slam process. Here is my thread from that event....

My user name says it all!!

Notice my name where they quoted me. I was beyond frustrated, but these people know their stuff

Also, keep in mind the first pic in that thread was AFTER pouring pound after pound of shock in it. one of the posts listed just what I could REMEMBER putting in it before coming here.

Herwick, can you confirm which test kit your ordered/received please? It might be a good idea to add that to your sig as well. I ask because it's not that common to see someone try to list an FC reading to the 10th or 100th position. Usually it's just an FC of 3, 5, 12, 15, etc. Also, how much are you filling the test tube with water for each FC sample (10 ML or 25 ml)?

I borrowed a friend's Color Q700 test kit, until I could order the TF-100, they did a SLAM with it and said it worked well. Ended up having other monetary obligations and I was complaining to them that I would have to wait longer to start my SLAM, they were nice enough to loan it to me so I could start lol. I am ordering the tf100 this weekend as I will have to be returning their's to them.

Okay, I understand. Well, your CYA would appear to be as programmed, but definitely stay on that FC and keep it at 12. The more it drops, the longer the SLAM will take. Constancy plays a huge role in the bleach doing its job. Of course don't forget to sweep everyday and watch the filter pressure. Review the SLAM page once a day and it will do its job. Good luck.

I have found it's not a bad idea to go just above the slam level, to help maintain the level, not letting it drop below.

Don't forget to brush the sides of the pool daily as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I have found it's not a bad idea to go just above the slam level, to help maintain the level, not letting it drop below.

Don't forget to brush the sides of the pool daily as well.

Keep an eye on your pressure gauge too and backwash when needed.

Okay, I understand. Well, your CYA would appear to be as programmed, but definitely stay on that FC and keep it at 12. The more it drops, the longer the SLAM will take. Constancy plays a huge role in the bleach doing its job. Of course don't forget to sweep everyday and watch the filter pressure. Review the SLAM page once a day and it will do its job. Good luck.

I have been checking 1st thing in the morning, in the afternoon and in the evening. The morning levels are usually low so I dump in bleach. I have found the bleach I am using raises my FC levels by approx 3ppm/gal. Anyway, about an hour after adding the bleach, vacuuming and brushing I check it again, levels are usually over 12 or right at. In the afternoon they are slightly lower or at 12. If 12 I don't add any more but if lower (10-11) I add another gallon. By the evening it is back down again so I add bleach until I get back to 12 or just above. Then overnight it drops again.

Should I be setting an alarm and checking it half way through the night and adding more if needed to keep the level up? Or is it ok to wait until morning? It will also be difficult to be able to get back home to check it in the afternoon for a few days, will the drop between morning and evening drastically effect the SLAM process?

I borrowed a friend's Color Q700 test kit, until I could order the TF-100, they did a SLAM with it and said it worked well. Ended up having other monetary obligations and I was complaining to them that I would have to wait longer to start my SLAM, they were nice enough to loan it to me so I could start lol. I am ordering the tf100 this weekend as I will have to be returning their's to them.

I just saw your posts, you are so in luck :) You have atwood's here in OK and they have 10% liquid chlorine for 2.50 a gallon now, you can ask for a manager and ask them for the special, it is 4 gallons of 10% for 8 dollars, great price and great company, explain you need like 50 gallons, one of the best prices out there unless you live in Florida :)

If you are going to be gone during the day or more than 6 hours raise your FC to 16 that way it will stay above 12 when your gone

I just saw your posts, you are so in luck :) You have atwood's here in OK and they have 10% liquid chlorine for 2.50 a gallon now, you can ask for a manager and ask them for the special, it is 4 gallons of 10% for 8 dollars, great price and great company, explain you need like 50 gallons, one of the best prices out there unless you live in Florida :)

Thanks for the heads up. I have been going to Wal-Mart and getting their "pool" bleach which is 10% currently on sale for $2.50! I will definitely check out Atwood's and see what kind of deal I can scare up if I run out. I currently have 30 gallons sitting in my garage. I was told to stock up. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.