Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool build: Anyone using waterproof LED light strips?

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool build: Anyone using waterproof LED light strips?

I am putting a 27' above ground salt water pool in this spring. I was looking at installing led lights. Has anyone installed or tried installing LED light strips that they have for sale on ebay/amazon etc. You can get custom length waterproof LED strips. I was thinking of installing these under the cap of the pool illuminate the perimeter of the pool. They run off 12v DC. I would definitely make sure the power feeding it would be ground fault protected so electrically I believe I'm alright. Anyone try using these yet?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New pool build: Anyone using waterproof LED light strips?

Welcome to the forum!

This topic comes up from time to time. The end result of the conversation is invariably that it's a bad idea. Only electrical products specifically designed to be in or near a pool should be in or near a pool for safety reasons. Anyone who advocates otherwise is taking on much more risk than they should. The difference between something being waterproof (i.e. - can be used outside) and something being used in or near a pool is that people are in the body of water and subject to electrocution. I would stick strictly with LED lights designed for above ground pools.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for your response, I'm a power systems technician and was just wondering where this concern for electrocution comes from? Is it mostly based on opinion or is it based on actual facts? I would like to hear from anyone that can elaborate on the subject because I do not see where the risk of electrocution comes from. With LED lighting the voltage is typically 5v-12v DC which is very small and is limited in current. As long as the stepdown transformer supplying the power is ground fault protected then there is no reason why a led light strip cannot be used safely like any other lighting which is doing the same thing. The LED strip I was looking at is IP68 rated.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In my mind, bottom line is that it is not designed for in-pool use and involves electricity, so not a wise idea. Often times it is money savings that initiates using products outside of their normal realm. My career has no electrical related concepts in it though so I'll be interested to hear from others as well.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Do a little search around our site and you will find many folks that have done it. I would, but I don't have any coping to hide it under.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

New pool build: Anyone using waterproof LED light strips?

So my comment is not related to the electrical aspect but... A lot of products are marked up when advertised for a niche market (pools) but may have an almost identical product not being marketed as such and it will cost less. I've run into that a lot, especially when you add baby, or wedding to the product name - bam, price hike.

My Uncle is an electrician and says he'd have to see it himself before saying it's okay but he suspects it is.

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by D0T-C0M View Post
    I'm a power systems technician and was just wondering where this concern for electrocution comes from? Is it mostly based on opinion or is it based on actual facts?
    It is based on the fact that in the U.S., any electrical device installed in/around a pool must be listed for that service according to the National Electrical Code.

Many things MAY be safe to do, but unless the manufacturer pays for the requisite testing and certification then the device should not be used in/around the pool.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    It is based on the fact that in the U.S., any electrical device installed in/around a pool must be listed for that service according to the National Electrical Code.

Many things MAY be safe to do, but unless the manufacturer pays for the requisite testing and certification then the device should not be used in/around the pool.
    I appreciate your opinion and concern and I would agree that the general public probably should not undertake such a project. I work in the electrical field and have talked to 2 electrical engineers to make double sure I'm not overlooking something obvious. This is a DIY project of sorts, so of course I do not expect it to be CSA or ASA "approved" but that doesn't mean it cannot be made safe using the proper electrical standards. The LED strip is IP68 rated so that part of it is waterproof rated. The electrical side can be easily protected using ground fault protection in case of LED strip seal failure.

The reason LED lighting is so expensive is because it cost lots on money to get the proper approvals. Using the proper methods for installation and adding the proper protective circuits should make this adequately safe I should be good to go.

9. Back To Top    #9

I love the idea...but, I did this in my kitchen under the cabinets and it wasn't long before a short segment stopped working and it annoyed the heck out of me. Basically had to replace the entire run...so I just pulled them and gave up on it.
    Spring 2016 Install, 24'x54" Saltwater LX AG Round Pool (13500 gal.), AquaPro 200 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump, Solaxx Saltron Retro Jet RJ Saltwater Chlorine Generator, Aqualuminator Above Ground Pool Light, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Borate and Salt, Well Water.

10. Back To Top    #10

Pools are different.

They are an environment where the person is especially vulnerable to electrical shock. Therefore the electrical code sets special rules that often seem counterintuitive or even wacky.

So as of today the 2014 version of the NEC bans any light from a pool unless it is listed for that use.

You point out a GFCI will protect you. Not really. First, you are on the secondary side of a transformer and there is no real GFCI protection there even with a swim rated transformer. Second, you don't create situations where you are relying on the GFCI, that's just bad practice.

It does cost lots of money for them to get the proper approvals. And one they didn't get was listing for use in pools.

It may be as relatively safe as listed lights, but as of now there is no engineering support for that posit
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    Pools are different.

They are an environment where the person is especially vulnerable to electrical shock. Therefore the electrical code sets special rules that often seem counterintuitive or even wacky.

So as of today the 2014 version of the NEC bans any light from a pool unless it is listed for that use.

You point out a GFCI will protect you. Not really. First, you are on the secondary side of a transformer and there is no real GFCI protection there even with a swim rated transformer. Second, you don't create situations where you are relying on the GFCI, that's just bad practice.

It does cost lots of money for them to get the proper approvals. And one they didn't get was listing for use in pools.

It may be as relatively safe as listed lights, but as of now there is no engineering support for that posit
    You need to have ground fault protection on the 120v side of the transformer for sure but while 12v dc poses minimal risk for electrocution there is also ground fault protection available for DC systems on ungrounded circuits which I am considering. Also I am not relying on the GFI protection directly but rather as that is merely a backup in case the insulation of the LED light strip were ever to fail. The LED light strips are IP68 certified and are marketed for pool installation, that is my main isolation from ground.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

It's not really what you're looking for, but I've had one of these for about 5 years now and it works really well. For that size pool, you might want 2 or 3 of them, but that's still under $150 and totally safe. Plus no special installation required.

Amazon.com : Intex 110-120V LED Pool Wall Light : Swimming Pool Lighting Products : Patio, Lawn Garden

My pool at night:

D'oh! Just realized, you're probably putting in a metal pool, in which case these won't work. Oh well, sorry...
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

13. Back To Top    #13

Thx for posting. Mine is a salt water metal pool. The LED strips come in custom lengths so I can order the exact length so no splices to worry about.

14. Back To Top    #14

Here's a post that I loved the use of LEDs. It's an IG pool but you get the idea. Some detail in later posts about types of lights I think... Making an old pool NEW again
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

15. Back To Top    #15

Great that was exactly what I was looking to do. Thanks

16. Back To Top    #16

You could also use side loss fiber. No code problems, no questions. Much like all other products surplus fiber from telecoms is cheap, fiber "designed for pool applications" is $$$.