Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just Starting

1. Back To Top    #1

Just Starting

We just bought the 18x52 Intex with sand filter pump..after we fill up do I start the filter system to run its course? Then do I test the water to see what my levels are? Not sure really where to start?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Just Starting

Sure, start the filtration right away. But be sure to backwash and rinse new sand first before you turn it to Filter though, or you'll blow a bunch of fine silt into your pool.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Just Starting

Hello Snickel and welcome to TFP! A couple things to note with your new pool/water:
    - If you have not added any chemicals yet, you can at least buy granular stabilizer to increase CYA for a projected CYA of 30 ppm. Use the Poolmath calculator in my sig below to enter your pool into. CYA is needed to protect your chlorine and keep the water safe for swimmers.
    - Your next priority, if you don't already have one, is to order a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit. That is a MUST to test your water.
    - Once filled, you want to start circulation and add some regular liquid bleach each day (day 1 about 3 ppm, after that 4-5 ppm); pools need to be fed everyday. Don't skip!
    - You need to ensure pH is in the mid 7s.

Below in my sig are very important links. Read them all except the SLAM link for now. Save those links to your desktop (shortcut). You will refer to them often. Let us know if you have any questions.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!