Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Motor Shaft Corrosion. Deal breaker?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Motor Shaft Corrosion. Deal breaker?

I wish I would have taken pictures when I had my pump disassembled but I didn't. Anyway, I have a Pentair Challenger 3/4 HP pump. It was leaking at startup so I replaced the shaft seal. When I disassembled, I noticed there was a fair bit of corrosion on the shaft. In particular the area up against the motor housing was covered in a white chalky substance.

I used some steel wool and lightly rubbed the outer half of the shaft but never really messed with the part nearer the motor, which I NOW realize is the part where the shaft seal sits. Anyway, after reassembly there is still a drip of water coming from behind the area where the motor mounts against the seal plate. Would it be worth it to disassemble again and try to clean up the area that I didn't before? Or is it a lost cause trying to remove corrosion from a motor shaft and expect it to seal properly again?

Also, for some reason the motor is louder after I replaced the shaft seal than it was before. Seems strange because I didn't do anything to the motor other than remove the pump from it. It has a higher pitched noise to it, not crazy loud but definitely louder than it was before. April 23, 2016 - YouTube
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Motor Shaft Corrosion. Deal breaker?

If you don't fix the leak, the motor bearings could be shot in short order.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    If you don't fix the leak, the motor bearings could be shot in short order.
    I am just wondering if the shaft being corroded will prevent me from ever getting a good seal?
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

4. Back To Top    #4

If you polish up with fine steel wool it should be fine.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater