Renovation in California -- just starting!

Apr 22, 2016
Lafayette, CA
Hi - I found the forum a few weeks ago and just joined. We started the Renovation two days ago and so far the plaster has been removed. We bought the house/pool three years ago and were told that they haven't paid any attention to the pool in many years. So far, we have changed out most of the equipment and added solar heating. But last year at the end of the season in September, one of our kids stepped down and onto a bubble (presumably from a crack) and created a 6 inch hole in the plaster. Thus we began our quest to "fix" the pool which has now been combined with a whole yard remodel. Through this process we will also change the patio, add an outdoor kitchen and a fire pit.

So, first thing -- here's today's pictures with the plaster removed and mostly dug out. Our contractor tells me that the last time plaster was added, it was just added on top of the original and showed me a section with 1/4 inch of plaster on top of about 3 inches. I'll try to get a photo of that piece. He says that the step around the spa and the stairs in the shallow end have crumbled due to a cracks and indicated they need to be re-done. Grrr! Does that seem accurate (see photos attached)?? I imagine this is the first of many questions along the way....

Here are two "before" photos
[URL=http://s118.photobucket.com/user/kmegibow/media/Hamlin-35.jpg.html]

And here is today with the plaster removed:[URL=http://s118.photobucket.com/user/kmegibow/media/IMG_3700.jpg.html]

Since I'm spending your money I'd lose the diving board or replace it with an entirely new one and add a swimout in the deep end. Best safety device invented for pools.

I suspect that when the pool builder built your pool oh so many years ago they incorporated some rebound or overspray in those steps and over time it cracked and crumbled beneath the plaster. I'm not seeing rebar so that's good.

Totally agree - the diving board is gone. We are looking at a "jumping boulder" or possibly even a slide. You can probably guess which one the kids want.

The contractor today said something about checking the rebar. I'm hopeful that it isn't rusted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi - I wanted to update with a picture or two. I'm deep into selecting my stamped concrete and am totally stuck on selecting color. I'm going with a Regal Ashlar stamp and have selected Loon Lake veneer for the wall behind the pool. My coping will be a tumbled natural stone, probably gray or silver. As for color on the patio, I'm having trouble finding too many pictures here or on the web in general where actual color selections are listed. Does anyone have a light gray or silver stamped concrete and would be willing to share pictures? (Or can you tell me where to go to find good pictures with specific colors identified?) My contractor would like to use Davis colors, but we have an option to use Brickform colors.

Here's my current yard. We found cracks and rust around the spa so we have now decided to rebuild the wall of the spa. It will allow us to make that wall more solid and since they will be spraying gunnite, we can add an additional stair in the deep end of the pool and extend the stair on the right side of the deep end.

This is "loon lake" that will go along the back wall -- just the stone around the door:
If my pictures are not showing please let me know and I'll adjust! Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.