Hayward Mega Cartridge Filter Leaks at Clamp

garywi

Silver Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I have an older model of this Hayward filter:

SwimClear Multi-Element | Filters | In Ground Pool Filters - Hayward Pool Products

Every time I clean the filter elements and put everything back together, I always get a leak at the clamp. I can't seem to finesse this thing. I take it all back apart, lube the o-ring, and 50/50% the leak will stop. Also, 150 inch pounds seems not enough.

Can someone tell me the secret?

Thanks!

My guess is that the big seal between the two halves is deformed or has taken a set. Alternately, the shelf could be deformed a little.

That clamp is tapered, so tightening it inwards also tightens it down. I greased up the inside of the clamp on my DE filter so it will slide inwards easier.

My only suggestion for you is to buy a new O-ring, wipe down all the mating surfaces so no dirt or grit is on them anywhere, and grease the O-ring and the clamp really well with pool lube. I usually tighten the clamp so it's snug, the turn on the pump for a few seconds, just enough to get a little pressure in the filter, then shut it off and finish tightening the clamp.

Make sure you alternate tightening the clamp and tapping the clamp around the filter with a rubber mallet to help seat the clamp.

I recently had my filter apart and I was almost able to do all the tightening on the clamp with my fingers, then I just used the wrench for the last little bit. Should not take much torque.

We have seen many people break the nut or bolt by just cranking on the nut to try to get the clamp tight enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.