Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Mega Cartridge Filter Leaks at Clamp

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Mega Cartridge Filter Leaks at Clamp

I have an older model of this Hayward filter:

SwimClear Multi-Element | Filters | In Ground Pool Filters - Hayward Pool Products

Every time I clean the filter elements and put everything back together, I always get a leak at the clamp. I can't seem to finesse this thing. I take it all back apart, lube the o-ring, and 50/50% the leak will stop. Also, 150 inch pounds seems not enough.

Can someone tell me the secret?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Mega Cartridge Filter Leaks at Clamp

My guess is that the big seal between the two halves is deformed or has taken a set. Alternately, the shelf could be deformed a little.

That clamp is tapered, so tightening it inwards also tightens it down. I greased up the inside of the clamp on my DE filter so it will slide inwards easier.

My only suggestion for you is to buy a new O-ring, wipe down all the mating surfaces so no dirt or grit is on them anywhere, and grease the O-ring and the clamp really well with pool lube. I usually tighten the clamp so it's snug, the turn on the pump for a few seconds, just enough to get a little pressure in the filter, then shut it off and finish tightening the clamp.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Make sure you alternate tightening the clamp and tapping the clamp around the filter with a rubber mallet to help seat the clamp.

I recently had my filter apart and I was almost able to do all the tightening on the clamp with my fingers, then I just used the wrench for the last little bit. Should not take much torque.

We have seen many people break the nut or bolt by just cranking on the nut to try to get the clamp tight enough.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks gentlemen. Great forum.