Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will bubbles in the basket hurt anything

1. Back To Top    #1

Will bubbles in the basket hurt anything

I just fired everything up from the winter because I noticed some stuff growing so I wanted to get the pool up fast. I believe I have a leaky gasket on the filter basket. I have suction and operating at normal pressure. Can I keep this running till I get to the store tomorrow or do I risk damage to the pump or filter? Pump is full of water but definitely is chundering some bubbles.
    20x40 30k gal vinyl, Inline Tri-Chlor Chlorinator, Hayward 250K btu heater, Hayward 2HP Super Pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Will bubbles in the basket hurt anything

Generally no. Its not a problem. If there is mostly air then you have a problem.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Check for low water level in the skimmer, or a sticking weir. That can get a vortex going in the skimmer and you'll suck air there.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Skimmers are full and functional. I just cleaned them. There is no water loss. When I turn the pump off water squirt out both sides of the pump basket lid.

5. Back To Top    #5

A few bubbles may not be a big deal, but if your strainer basket begins to drop (especially over night while you're sleeping) that could be a problem. This is your first post-winter start-up, and weird things can happen. It's dark now, so if you can't seal that gasket tonight, or quickly resolve the issue from the recommendations above, you might consider just letting the pump circulate water for a short time then shut it down before bed....just to be safe until you can watch it more closely and evaluate everything. It sat all this time anyways. A few more hours isn't going to hurt anything. Last thing you want to do is damage your pump.

- - - Updated - - -

That's probably your culprit - the lid gasket. If you don't have some Magic Lube or a replacement, it's your call. Depends on how much air it's pulling-in.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!