Newbie here - What should I do with automatic cover if hail is in the forecast?

Nov 9, 2015
Lawrence, KS
We just opened our pool and have a Coverstar automatic pool cover. We are supposed to get large hail tomorrow and about 2-3 inches of rain. I'm not too worried about the rain as the cover does have a pump placed on it. However, I was not sure if we should leave the cover on with the possibility of large hail. Will this damage the cover? I know these covers are tough since they are made to where people can walk on them but wanted to get advice from those who have been through this before.

I would keep it closed and not worry about it. I never even thought about that before. The beauty of these covers is after all of the storm has passed you open to a clean pool :D

Welcome to the forum!

A replacement cover for mine is $3K+. I do leave mine open. I've also had furniture blow in once. And ours has kind of pointy corners.

Insurance may cover but there's that pesky deductible, the hassle and the concept of it being one strike on your claims history for something that is preventable. Just my thought process for this issue.

Enjoy the site and look around. Tons of great info in Pool School - link in upper right corner of full site.

I think I'd leave mine open (assuming I had enough advance warning to open it) because I imagine large hail possibly having some sharp edges which might cut into the cover.

I once had $1200 in hail damage to my beloved red mustang back in the 70s...after they replaced the hood and fixed everything I got a brand new paint job out of it! WooWoo!

I think I'd leave mine open (assuming I had enough advance warning to open it) because I imagine large hail possibly having some sharp edges which might cut into the cover.

I once had $1200 in hail damage to my beloved red mustang back in the 70s...after they replaced the hood and fixed everything I got a brand new paint job out of it! WooWoo!

My mom had to have the hood of her brand new mustang replaced from hail dammage a few years ago. (soft top stuck out on the highway) That would also make me lean towards leaving it open.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.