First time opening

Well...it rained all day yesterday and more of the same today and into next week. Looks like I won't be doing my SLAM this weekend. Will shoot for getting a good CYA reading sometime this week then get my ph down to 7.5. Gives me time to stock up on bleach...I currently have 24 jugs! Weekends are when I have the time to devote to doing it correctly and getting this pool started off the right way for the summer. I will post CYA results once we see the sun again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to update...I have ran my pump on circulate for 30 min to get test results. PH was way high and no chlorine or cya. I have not added the 24 oz of MA yet to bring down PH. Pool math says I need to add 58 oz of stabilizer to get to 30. Just put in sick and place in skimmer while running pump on circulate? Also, in what order should I add all of these chemicals to adjust levels to normal? I assume I don't start slam until I get PH and CYA adjusted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer the sock to hang in front of the return. A. It makes it easier to squeeze it, hastening the dissolving. B. It keeps undisolved particles out of the filter, allowing you to backwash sooner if need be.

Should I run on circulate? I am afraid if I run on filter I will be back washing frequently since it's pretty gunked up from sitting all winter thus sending the newly dissolved cya to waste??

You can start the stabilizer right away, while also adding the muriatic acid to drop the pH. Give it about 15 minutes to mix then check pH again. Once it's in the lower 7s, crank-up your FC for the SLAM (12) and you're on your way.

- - - Updated - - -

You can run on recirculate for a short time, but eventually you'll need to open the water-up to the filter to kill/clean the algae in there. If you really have a strong concern about large debris (muck) in the water, vacuum to waste first, then add the chemicals to start your SLAM.

Thanks! Sorry for all the questions, but I do have one more that I am curious about. I used to have my pool guy take care of my pool with the tri chlor pucks. Halfway through last season I found this site and tried to switch over. I battled high CYA since the switch last summer and did a partial drain to bring it down some, but it was still higher than recommended. When i closed it for the winter I drained some extra out hoping to fix the high CYA issue upon opening. Now it's <30, possibly 0. Is this normal to lost all CYA over the winter? Just trying to get this pool thing figured out so I can stop paying the pool guy and maintain on my own. Thanks for all the help so far!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got my ph down to 7.5 and have the cya in socks around the returns. Question...I put in the shock level of bleach and tested after 30 min just to see where the FC was. It was already down to 1 and CC was 3. I assume that is normal to eat up the chlorine that quickly when the pool looks like a swamp? Also should I go ahead and add more bleach since I know it's below shock level or keep checking it only every hour or 2?

Nate, if the socks are not fully dissolved yet, I would take them out briefly and perform the following just to be safe (in case of ammonia):
1. Take your FC up to a SLAM/Shock FC of 10. Do not add additional CYA at this point.
2. Retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
a. If FC loss is greater than 50%, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
b. IF FC loss is 50% or less, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level. Go to Step 3.
3. If CYA was/is below 30 ppm, add enough CYA to bring level up to 30 ppm.
4. Continue SLAM as directed in the SLAM article until the SLAM Criteria of Done are met. Test as directed in the SLAM article - no longer need to test FC at 10 minute increments at this point.

Based on your green swamp and that FC was lost so quickly with no previous CYA, I thing this is a good course of action. Once you pass the 10-min drill, you're back on the SLAM train.

Don't need to test the CYA every 10 min. Take the socks out temporarily. Just test the FC and make sure it doesn't drop from 10 to below 5 in 10 minutes. If it does, bump it back up right away. Once the FC holds past 10 min, then drop the socks back in.

- - - Updated - - -

Ammonia, if you have it, is very aggressive once established and will eat FC and CYA like candy. We didn't discuss that before, but when you said your FC dropped so quickly this morning, we need to make sure there is no ammonia. This 10 min drill is required as aggressive treatment to overtake the ammonia. Once you pass the 10 min drill and can retain FC, then you are free to continue a normal SLAM.

You got it! Good job Nate. Better to be safe with ammonia. So yes, now you are back to the SLAM. Raise FC to 12 and put sock back in. Since you are doing lots of backwashing in the beginning of this SLAM, I would check CYA again on Sunday to make sure it's still close to 30. Other than that, you've got it!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm logging-off for a bit but will check back in when I get back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.