Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Unlevel above ground small Intex...help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Unlevel above ground small Intex...help!

I dug up sod, asked my preoccupied husband to level the ground then I added a small layer of sand. I assembled the pool and started to fill it yesterday. I noticed it was a little unlevel, but not too terrible I thought. This is what it looks like today "full". Is it really bad? I'm so dreading if I have to drain, take it down and fix the ground. Thanks!

FullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender_3.jpgFullSizeRender_1.jpgIMG_1794.jpgIMG_1795.jpg

[Don't mind the soon to be disposed of grass and reed fencing project beginnings.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Unlevel above ground small Intex...help!

Welcome to TFP!!!

We generally say that the pool needs to be level within 1".
    Can the Intex pools handle more than that? Maybe yes, maybe no ... up to you to evaluate the risk.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your reply! What would be the risk? I have three children (aged 7, 5, 3) who will use it 99% of the time.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

That will likely topple sooner or later. The risk is a toddler in the midst of several thousand gallons of rushing water. Sorry, but I'd redo it.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

5. Back To Top    #5

Bummer. OK!

6. Back To Top    #6

Go from the lowest point and remove the dirt. Do not add fill because it will settle. One gallon of water weighs approximately 8lbs. This is why adding dirt just makes a bigger mess.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

You dont have to level the ground under the pool, you just have to make sure the legs are all level. Put pavers under the legs and use a transit or water level to make sure the pavers are all the same level.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

8. Back To Top    #8

sorry but it needs to be redone. Not fun but MUCH safer.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

It might not collapse right away, but it will likely stretch on one side. Why ruin the pool when it can be redone?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by 1380ken View Post
    That pool is fine, there is no danger of it toppling over. It looks like it is only out about 2 - 2.5 inches. Try to find a post here, where a pool collapsed because it was 2.5" out of level.

Would you be willing to bet your 3 year old's life on that?

I had a 14x42 Ultra Frame that was a couple of inches low on one side. It lasted a couple of years, but once the top rail rusted, it broke at the low spot and the liner ruptured and flooded my yard. It can happen.

With bigger kids, I would let it go. Obviously, because I did. But with little ones, it would be irresponsible to take that chance.
    Pentair IC40 SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

That pool is fine, there is no danger of it toppling over. It looks like it is only out about 2 - 2.5 inches. Try to find a post here, where a pool collapsed because it was 2.5" out of level.
    No it is not! We had one that "rolled over" due to being unlevel like that. They got real lucky no one was hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post

I had a 14x42 Ultra Frame that was a couple of inches low on one side. It lasted a couple of years, but once the top rail rusted, it broke at the low spot and the liner ruptured and flooded my yard. It can happen.

With bigger kids, I would let it go. Obviously, because I did. But with little ones, it would be irresponsible to take that chance.
    As the age goes up the real trouble starts LOL. The above example about it rolling over was cause by a couple of pre-teens making a "wave" and over it went!

Every above ground pool SHOULD be within 1" level all the way around. The ground should be lowered to the lowest spot instead of built up with sand or dirt to a higher level as the water will compress it down and cause it to be unlevel again.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post

Really, so the top rail rusting and breaking had nothing to do with the rupture.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    No it is not! We had one that "rolled over" due to being unlevel like that. They got real lucky no one was hurt.

As the age goes up the real trouble starts LOL. The above example about it rolling over was cause by a couple of pre-teens making a "wave" and over it went!

Every above ground pool SHOULD be within 1" level all the way around. The ground should be lowered to the lowest spot instead of built up with sand or dirt to a higher level as the water will compress it down and cause it to be unlevel again.

Kim
    Do you have any before and after pictures of this alleged rollover? How unlevel was your pool.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks all!

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Really, so the top rail rusting and breaking had nothing to do with the rupture.

Of course it did, that's why I mentioned it. But all Intex pools are subject to rust out. The added strain caused by the low side made it buckle at that point. I'm not sure it would have collapsed so spectacularly if it had been level. The strain on the top rails is not so apparent now that my replacement pool is level.

Why are you so adamant to defend your position? Are you going to have to be the one to level it? With small children involved, I will always err on the side of caution.

You probably think Kim and I are being overly dramatic, but I think you are being reckless with your advice, especially when others' kids are involved.
    Pentair IC40 SWG

15. Back To Top    #15

Is it safe? Is it not? Bottom line, why chance it. If that pool is only 15x48" it's about 5300 gallons which equates to over 42,000lbs. Think about that. 42,000lbs of water...
    Ant
    16'x48" Summer Escapes Pro-Series, AG, Ultra-Frame, Intex CS15110 Sand filter/SWG, 5061 GAL, TF-100 Test Kit w/ K-1766 Salt Test and Speedstir.
    Pool School, ABC's of Water Chemistry, CYA/Chlorine Chart, Water Balance for SWG's, Pool Math.

16. Back To Top    #16

Do you have any before and after pictures of this alleged rollover? How unlevel was your pool.

It is a thread from long ago. We tried to tell him but he did not think it was that bad until it went over. He did post a pic after it rolled to show everyone why it needs to be level.

It is NOT worth taking the chance!

Kim

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm missing 1380ken's point.

AGP are designed, engineered to be built on level undisturbed soil. The mass of the water holds the pool together. Shifting the mass in a manner not contemplated by the designers is not the best move and can lead to catastrophic failure.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall