Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too Far Gone?

1. Back To Top    #1

Too Far Gone?

IMG_1807 (1).jpgIMG_1808.jpg
    Hello TFP Nation!

My wife and I purchased a home with an in-ground pool last spring. Thanks to this site, the learning curve for opening it last year was shorter than it should have been.
    That said, the pool is jankety at best. I will save you all of the details, but one item of concern this year is a previous patch that has separated from the liner.

Based on the pics, is the liner too far gone or can we put a patch on the top side to get us through one more year? This fall we will be undertaking a very large pool remodel (all the concrete torn out, all new electric and plumbing, new liner, etc.).

Thanks in advance.

Rob
    Brandi & Rob
    20x40 rectangle, in-ground pool, 33,000 gal (according to L x W x Avg Depth x 7.5)
    Sand filter
    Sta-Rite Dura Glas 1HP pump on 1-1/2" lines

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too Far Gone?

Hi, welcome to TFP! Looks like it has been patched in that area twice already. You can give it a try, but I'm not too optimistic. If you try you will need a patch about 6" longer than the hole on either side, and as close to the top of the liner as possible. Layer a second, longer patch on top of the first.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

IMO, trying to patch it at this point seems like a futile effort if it has failed multiple times. Then again, I have no experience with vinyl pools
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I would have to at least try! There is really nothing to lose and everything (another year) to gain. Just do not overfill your pool and keep everyone away from that corner.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

If that is the only split you have, I would say go for it, with luck it will make it through one more season.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Gorilla tape to the rescue! Kidding, I don't know how to patch a vinyl pool either.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Gorilla tape to the rescue!
    I say why not??? Might be just the thing needed to get another year out of it!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

You can get another season out of it. My patch kit has pieces that are 23" x 6". It's not going to look good, but you should be able to make it work. You could also think about getting it replaced at the end of the year before you close (if you close). That would save you a little bit of money with not needing to fill the pool to the top.
    24000 Gal, 18x36 Vinyl
    Hayward Super Pump
    Jacuzzi Tri Clops Cartridge Filter
    Heat Siphon Heat Pump