Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mold inside stairs ballast

1. Back To Top    #1

Mold inside stairs ballast

Hey all. Have my stairs out while I was slamming and wanted to give them a really good clean. Started scrubbing and bleaching. I decided to take out the ballast and take a peek. Well look at what I found

Just goes to show you that just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there!! Now that I have them out, can algae permeate through all of the sand? Should I dump bleach them out and buy new?

27' above ground, 17500 gallons, Cartridge filter Hayward SW1000z4, A.O. Smith Pump SP1515Z1BC 70 GPM, Test kit Taylor TF-100
    Murfreesboro, TN

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mold inside stairs ballast

And there you have it! A perfect example. We preach it all the time, but often it is overlooked or hard to believe this could happen. Thanks for sharing. Good job.

Oh yeah, if I were you .... I'd get new sand.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks as always Texas

27' above ground, 17500 gallons, Cartridge filter Hayward SW1000z4, A.O. Smith Pump SP1515Z1BC 70 GPM, Test kit Taylor TF-100
    Murfreesboro, TN

4. Back To Top    #4

I would think about using rubber coated weights to hold them down. Easy to take off and will not trap the water in to allow algae to grow. Fill in all holes as well.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Well wife and I were talking and might want to replace the stairs anyway. Whoever built this deck built it up over the pool instead of even with it so there is this huge >6 inch step to go from top pool step to deck. Picture below.

Looks like the "adjustable" stairs online are only adjustable by raising the handles which doesn't solve the problem. Any clever suggestions?

Murfreesboro, TN