Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM- Day 2. Need advice

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM- Day 2. Need advice

Hey guys,

South Florida pool owner here. My pool gets full sun, and the last week or two my chlorine levels have plummeted quickly after I add liquid chlorine. Guessing I have an algae issue, so I'm SLAMMING right now.

I started yesterday afternoon - CYA starting level was 35 and pH was 7.4. Got the pool up to shock level, brushed and maintained. I only lost 1.5 ppm of Chlorine overnight.

At 7 am the FC was 18.5. But at noon the FC was 12. Is this decline normal with an algae problem? Seems really fast to me.
    20K gal, IG, Diamondbrite, TF100 kit, Pentair 3/4 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM- Day 2. Need advice

Between an algae bloom and the sun's UV in sunny FL, I suspect you're pretty close to the expected FC loss rate. In the first few days it's especially critical to maintain that FC at its target SLAM level. Just do the best you can, and after a couple days it should start to taper-off and be more stable/consistent.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. It's reassuring for a rookie!
    20K gal, IG, Diamondbrite, TF100 kit, Pentair 3/4 hp pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, if your CYA tube is over 30, but less than 40, you still read it as 40. So make sure you're dosing at the 40 level.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Remember that algae grows in sunlight, so whatever isn't dead by sunrise will start to grow again, which will increase the FC usage over and above the UV breakdown. You're doing well. Many people report almost complete FC depletion between doses early on in the process. Keep hammering that algae with 16 FC.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Also, during the beginning stages you want to check and dose often. Like every couple of hours if at all possible. But at minimum 4 times a day.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir