Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aerating - how to adjust return jet eyeball?

1. Back To Top    #1

Aerating - how to adjust return jet eyeball?

Ok so first off, I'm going to show a pic of my pool, because it went from dull to clear and sparkly after I took out the Ecosmarte junk and added CYA and chlorine to the pool, following the instructions I was provided with here. I'm geeking out over it

Second - I started out putting enough chlorine in to get up to about 12 FC, and let it drift down as instructed, so it's sitting at 4 right now. PH is just below 7.8, I'd say 7.7. TA is 180 (down from 220 a week ago). CH is still pretty high, around 500 or 525. I added some MA yesterday, about half a gallon. I looked like Walter White out there with all my protective safety gear on, pouring it in over the return lol. I have to test today when I get home - I know I'm going to have to use aeration to get the PH back up without also driving up TA. Here's my issue, I tried to see if my return eyeballs adjust, and I can't move them. I have tried YouTube, searching on here, trying to figure out how to adjust them so I can get one pointed up and get some bubbles going. I can't figure it out! I looked up some other ways to aerate, not sure I'm handy enough to configure one of the piping gadgets some of y'all have done, I'd prefer to keep this as simple as possible. I also don't mind buying a small air compressor if need be.

18x36 roman shaped pool, 27K gal, well water, IG vinyl, 1 HP WhisperFlo pump, Hayward ProSeries Sand Filter S244T

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aerating - how to adjust return jet eyeball?

Yeah, some of those return jet eyeballs can be a bit troublesome. But I was just thinking the same thing .... if you didn't' want to mess with the eyeballs or try to configure a separate pipe to create a fountain, then a simple submersible pump should work on an "as-needed" basis just to help create some aeration.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I was looking at those online last night, so that would be an option, super... thanks!
    18x36 roman shaped pool, 27K gal, well water, IG vinyl, 1 HP WhisperFlo pump, Hayward ProSeries Sand Filter S244T

4. Back To Top    #4

Not sure about your particular returns, but one of my eyeballs was "stuck" and I could not turn the outer ring to loosen it. The PB stopped by and he said to just stick a screwdriver in the hole and you could aim the jet using the screwdriver as a lever. And then he produced a screwdriver from his shirt pocket and aimed mine for me! But by all means, be careful, don't break your return.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

5. Back To Top    #5

I use the screwdriver technique on Occassion. It works well. Just make sure you do it carefully.
    5900 litre or 1558 gal above ground swim spa. Approx 5 years old and heated to 37 degrees celsius year round. Cartridge filter, ozonator, Nature2 mineral sanitiser, Aqua Health non chlorine based shock, Lithium Hypochlorite dosed at each spa usage. Filled using mostly stored rainwater from tanks, and town water when the tanks are drained.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

A strap wrench works great for stubborn outer rings.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir